Thread: Ethanol in Gas

Default Ethanol in Gas

I recently was having problems with my 2003 Polaris PWC. I took it in, and the marina said that I had high ethanol gas in the system and it completely warped my fuel pump. $800 later, they said to try to buy pure gasoline (no ethanol). The marina said this is becoming a huge problem - especiall in boats older than 10 years. I have a 2006 Outback LSV. I plan on running the pure gasoline from now own, but does anyone know if the tank and other components in this boat were made with materials resistant to ethanol gas? I am concerned, because I am sure I have fuel in my boat from the same station. Probably not purchased at the same time, but definately from the same station. I hope the tank and other plastic components do not start deterioating.
    - Bob

Default Ethanol in Gas

I've not had any issues with my 09 but I am religious about putting stabil in my tank every time I fuel up. I don't have any non ethanol stations around my neck of woods so that's not an option for me personally

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Default Ethanol in Gas

Quote Originally Posted by jpetty3023 View Post
    I've not had any issues with my 09 but I am religious about putting stabil in my tank every time I fuel up. I don't have any non ethanol stations around my neck of woods so that's not an option for me personally

^ This x2! I put a can of SeaFoam in mine every other time I get gas! We've been doing that in our boats since I was knee high to a grasshopper.
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

Default Re: Ethanol in Gas

Blue stabil ftw!
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

the ethanol content in gas currently(10%) is not enough to eat through the components of your fuel system. there are thousands of vehicles and small machinery operating with ethanol fuel in them prior to ethanol based fuel being sold that have been running for years with no issues. now if you missed the signs and ended up putting e-85 in the machine, that will, over the long haul, cause some parts of a fuel system not designed for that fuel to degrade and start leaking. I know lots of guys with turbo'ed cars that swap out part of the fuel systems and change the computer mapping to run e-85 as it's got a much higher octane rating.

now what ethanol is known for is having a lower boiling point so it vapor locks easier and separates much quicker into fuel and water within the tank. possibly your polaris had this happen?
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Found this online:http://bluedotmarine.weebly.com/etha...formation.html. My neighbor just had $1,000 in damage to a one year old E-Tec outboard because of ethanol in the gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    the ethanol content in gas currently(10%) is not enough to eat through the components of your fuel system. there are thousands of vehicles and small machinery operating with ethanol fuel in them prior to ethanol based fuel being sold that have been running for years with no issues. now if you missed the signs and ended up putting e-85 in the machine, that will, over the long haul, cause some parts of a fuel system not designed for that fuel to degrade and start leaking. I know lots of guys with turbo'ed cars that swap out part of the fuel systems and change the computer mapping to run e-85 as it's got a much higher octane rating.

now what ethanol is known for is having a lower boiling point so it vapor locks easier and separates much quicker into fuel and water within the tank. possibly your polaris had this happen?
    - Bob

Default Ethanol in Gas

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    separates much quicker into fuel and water within the tank. possibly your polaris had this happen?

This is exactly why I do not let gas sit long in the tanks of any of my stuff. It is a pain to fuel more frequently but I try to keep the gas gauge as close to empty as possible. I keep a large bottle of Sta-bil in my truck and put just a little in after each use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

Quote Originally Posted by jpetty3023 View Post

The components in your 09 should be comprised of materials to hold up to ethanol, but just so others with older boats do not get a false sense of security, the Sta-Bil ethanol formula will do little to counter ethanol's attack on the plastics and rubbers in older systems. They can still deteriorate due to the ethanol.

All boats can suffer from the side effects of ethanol, like moisture absorption and phase separation, but older boat fuel system can fail from the inside out due to the corrosiveness of ethanol blended fuels.