Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New for me 06 Mobius LSV! One issue I need help with on the ballast system...

Hey, as some of you already know I just bought bigr82's 06 Mobius LSV. Met him in Indiana at Geist Res late last night for the transfer. It all went great, I'm extremely pleased with the boat! Ryan was awesome to deal with, and his wife was really cool too (cause she told him to give me his wakeboard rope, and I needed a new one lol!). 12 hours of driving and lot of money, but it's all going to be worth it!

Anyways, I got home at 6am this morning and just took it straight to my lake's launch. I drove it around, and it was wonderful. Much more quiet and smooth than my 2000 Supra Launch I had. Perfect Pass is a Godsend too!

The only issue I have found so far is that the front bag won't fill or empty. The switch works the valve because after the back bags were full I just turned on all the fill switches and the front filled up. It will not actuate the pump though when I only use the front switch, fill or empty. Not a big deal to fix immediately because I always left a sack full in the ski locker of my Supra all season. I'd rather have it stuck full than stuck empty. However, my hoist is a shore station 3000lb cap, but it can hold 4000lb (I talked to an engineer at the manufacturer, the only difference is gear ratio to make it easier to lift). The boat is 3250 dry, so with a full tank of gas and that front bag full I'm pushing the limit.

Can anybody give me any tips for the first things to check to try and fix this issue?

Here's a pic I snapped a few minutes ago and one from like 1am this morning stopping on the way home...we're getting the kids ready right now and heading out to have my first wakeboard session behind it! I'm so stoked!

mobius 4.jpg
    mobius 1.jpg

Default New for me 06 Mobius LSV! One issue I need help with on the ballast system...

Congrats & the boat looks great!

After a long haul like that and/or sitting for awhile, sometimes the aerator pumps in that system need primed. My neighbors Malibu did the same to him last weekend. I told him to get the boat moving about 20 mph , bow up & hit the switch. That forced water back into the pump, it primed and he emptied the back.

With your boat being on a lift, you may find you need to do the same to get the pumps to fill. On my 08, I had to race up to 20 mph, hit the switch to get the pumps to start up.

I wouldn't leave it on the lift with any water in the ballast.

Good luck, have fun and welcome to the Roo Clan.

If it wont drain you might have a drain pump that's bad, you should hear it when you hit drain, its in the ski locker at the rear of the bag. There is fuses up under the dash also to check.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Fuses...I'll check those, good idea. I don't think it's a priming issue, because the pump doesn't run at all when using the front switch.

So my understanding is there is 1 fill pump for all 3 bags, and 1 empty pump for all 3 bags. The switches therefore open their respective valve, and all 3 switches also function to turn on the fill or empty pump. So both rear bag switches turn the pump on, but the front one does not turn the pump on. Neither the fill or empty pump run when I hit the front switch. The lights on the switch are on, so the switch has power. The front valve opens when I hit the front fill (which is how I filled it, just turned one of the other switches to full and let that bag overflow while the front filled); however if I hit the front empty to open the valve, it doesn't get pumped out even if I have the other two switches on. It's like just that switch is disconnected from the pump motors somehow. But odd that it's both? I don't know.

I had a great first wakeboard and surf run on it this morning. The ski crew was out (about 10 ski boats), but I've became friends with most of them and a couple of them jumped in my boat for the surfing. We all take turns, one at a time, because our lake is only like 100 acres and it's relatively skinny. I really like the wake for boarding, it has more transition than the Supra but still has a lip at the top. The surf wake was great! I had front and rear left full, right at 20% or so, and another 350 in front of the left bag, halfway under the seat and in the compartment. 2 adult men (1 driving), my wife, and my 4 year old and 2 year old in the boat. Great surf wake. Really steep, but as big if not bigger, and longer than my Supra.

But bigr82 told me he didn't charge the batteries at all after the winter. At the end of my sessions, I had to get a tow, which was kind of embarassing for a "new" boat lol! I'm going to check the alternator later today and charge the batteries. I had the switch on for both of them, I think I'll do one at a time from now on and alternate each day or something.

All in all, VERY pleased with my purchase!

On your boat you have
    1 fill pump
    1 manifold with 3 Ts
    3 solinoids on manifold
    3 Drain pumps.
    3 Switches
    6 fuses

When you use the ballast switches, they are all grounded to each other, and all lights are powered off each other.
    Bunch of dasiy chained wires.
    Each switch has a seperate power for Fill and Drain and is Fused under the dash
    Fuses are 5amps normall.

Fill pump is in the V drive area and connects to the Manifold, generally mounted on top of the Transmission
    Each Solinoid is connected for each bag, <IE you hit the Fill switch, it will turn the pump on, and open the solinoid.>
    Make sure all the Solinoid valves have a black tab and its in the correct position. 1 overides it open all the time 1 makes it switched with power from your switch. <sorry cant recall the direction been 2 years>

When you hit Drain each switch powers its own pump connected directly to each bag.
    V Drive pumps are located on the inner edge of the engine bay, follow the hose from the bag.
    Ski Locker pump is in the ski locker on the floor, under the Lip of the door, stick your head in there and you will see it.

Just because it fills, doesnt mean it can drain, draining is 3 seperate pumps.
    If 1 bag will fill and another wont, then look at the Solinoid on the manifold as your first issue, then look at Fuses, and lastly the switch.

You might hear a pump running and the bag wont fill, this means it needs primed, take boat up to speed 10mph or higher to force the pumps to prime.

Drain pumps normally dont require priming because the pressure in the bag will prime it, but you might get an air lock issue, just takes turning the pump on and off a lot to fix this.

Great looking pic of the boat on the Lift, i would get at a minimum coozies to put over the tower legs so they dont chip your gunnel gell coat, or use some traction pads, for steps and to protect it from the tower legs.
    Last edited by mmandley; 06-15-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks for the fuse advice. It wasn't a fuse, but the top right wire in the picture was disconnected. Works perfectly now! Although seems there is air in the bag. Should I disconnect one of the fittings and try to push the air out?

Oh and now the only next thing I need to do is figure out a good way to stop the tower poles from scratching the hull (I'm thinking maybe some hydroturf, I have some extra in gray from a jetski turf job). Yes, I already did, and no there wasn't already a scratch. Seems these towers should fold better. Can't fold with the bimini, and it's made so a sharp edge touches the boat? Seems very poorly engineered, unless myself and the previous owner are doing it all wrong.

I always used a towel to lat the tower down on the gunell. The smaller poles that hold the tower up will rest on them, then i just lay the tower down and the wake board racks would hit the lower section of the tower and support it.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    Although seems there is air in the bag. Should I disconnect one of the fittings and try to push the air out?
    There should be a cap on top of the bag that you can loosen/remove to "burp" the bag. They also sell some that have holes in the threads/thru the bottom that lets the air out without fully removing the plug. You can modify the solid plug with a few drill bits to work like the "air" plugs.

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-p...ting-w749.html

The better solution is to run a vent line off the bag. Requires you to drill a hoe in the side of your new boat.

Yup, after I asked that question I saw the caps when I went back out on the boat. Good idea to drill some air holes, I usually just unscrew until it's almost coming out and the air makes it's way out.

Well, it seems I have another issue. The boat wouldn't start now at two separate times. It wouldn't this morning after my wakeboard and surf session, so I just figured the batteries were relatively dead (although the boat had been running for a while). I pulled them both and charged them, and they charged up in less than an hour on a trickle charger, so that didn't seem right. The boat fired up just fine after I put the batteries in, but I shut it off for a few minutes while waiting for my buddy (and turned all accessories off), and when he got there it wouldn't start back up! It just cranked and cranked, I'm assuming there wasn't enough power to run the starter and ignition simultaneously. I tried hooking up a jumper box to it, and it finally fired once I put it on battery #1, which looks like it's the main battery.

Can anybody tell me how I'm supposed to use both batteries? The boat won't start on one or the other, I have to have it on both. My fear is leaving it switched to both seems like a lot of stress on the alternator. Do some of you start it on both, then switch to 1 or 2 (and maybe alternate)? Or are my batteries obviously bad since I have to start it on both? It would very much surprise me if that was how it should be, since I never had an issue starting with my Supra's one battery.