Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I can see it happening if the t state was stuck closed because the Exhaust system has to have water to stay cool.

I will have to look into it but i think the exhaust gets a certain amount of by pass water, even when you first start the engine you should get water out of the exhaust within 30 seconds, and it takes longer then that for the T stat to open.

I'm willing to bet there is more wrong then the T stat here, and when you take it back to the dealer make sure you get plenty of documentation that states exactly what went wrong, what was done to fix it.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

If the tstat is stuck closed then all the water will pass thru the tstat housing to the exhaust. If your exhaust cooling hoses are melted ,I would say you had a lack of cooling water either from a bad impeller, intake hose plugged or intake hose not clamped or combination or domino effect and you were sucking air that reduced or eliminated flow to the engine. This is another good reason to have a water strainer as you can see the water flowing thru it so you know you have good draw from your impeller. .02

Although there was a tstat housing issue back on some of the 09 cat engines that caused a overheat situation and gave a popping sound on the jtube hose getting sucked closed but now they have a solid jtube and modified the housing.
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 06-16-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I don't think it is the recirc pump as they tend to make a nasty noise if it is the bearings going out. Could be the impeller and if someone did the winterization it could be in a bag some where.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I'm inclined to say its something to do with the impellor as well. Curious to know what the issue is once diagnosed and fixed.
    07 Outback DD

Thanks again, we will be taking the boat in first thing tomorrow morning to the dealer and hopefully this falls under warranty. The dealer did say they changed the impeller during the winterization process. I will post on here what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by ifly1016 View Post
    The dealer did say they changed the impeller during the winterization process. I will post on here what they say.
    This is so wrong, why would you ever load a new impeller over the winter.......put it in for summerization.....sorry, I just can't help myself when the professionals don't know what they are doing. Perhaps you misunderstood them. jmo
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 06-16-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

You are correct, they replaced it as they were getting it ready for the summer. I just checked the bill.

That sounds much better. If they replaced it on summerization then they would have verified correct operation and all should be good. Will be interesting to find the cause.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

You are not getting any coolant/water. Start with the impeller. Sometimes service people have been known to "inspect" the impeller and if it looks ok, not replace it. It can look perfectly fine but if it spins on it's bearing it won't pump. You have classic symptoms of no coolant supply at all. Impeller or water pump.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

The boat is back on the lift! The problem was the circulating pump and I guess I shut down the engine just in time because they only had to replace the hoses to the exhaust as those burned through, but the rest of the engine checked out ok. It was replaced fully under warranty. The dealer said this was the second circulating pump they have had to replace in this model year. I was surprised by the fast turnaround, and just glad there wasn’t more damage.

We tested the boat on the water when the dealer returned it with a mechanic on board and the boat ran fine! Let the summer finally begin!