Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default 2012 LSV Smoking

First time poster, but have been following these forums for a while. We have a 1 year old LSV with 60 hours on it, that we got winterized and stored by the dealer where we bought the boat. We put it on the water for the first time two weeks ago for the summer and just drove it to the lift and kept it there till today. Today we checked the oil and all the fittings and everything checked out normal so we took the boat out.

After a normal warm up and quick run we stopped to get our first wake boarder in the water for the summer. We did a couple of runs and as we went to pick up the user white smoke was coming out of the three vent holes on the back of the boat. Smoke was also coming out of the cup holders and by the driver’s seat. The smoke had a very powerful smell, like burnt rubber. When I opened the cover of the engine, after a couple of seconds, we heard a couple of pops. The check engine light never came on and the temperature gauge showed normal during the runs. After the pops and all the smoke started to appear I turned the key to power up the guages to see if they showed anything. The check engine light was illuminated also, the temperature gauge was pegged all the way to the right.

So the main point of the post, I am just trying to see what you all think went wrong, so I can go into the dealer educated.

Thank you

Default 2012 LSV Smoking

Sorry to hear this! Are all the water hoses plumbed and connected properly? Often dealers leave the hoses disconnected in a winterize. It sounds like an overheat...
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ifly1016 View Post
    First time poster, but have been following these forums for a while. We have a 1 year old LSV with 60 hours on it, that we got winterized and stored by the dealer where we bought the boat. We put it on the water for the first time two weeks ago for the summer and just drove it to the lift and kept it there till today. Today we checked the oil and all the fittings and everything checked out normal so we took the boat out.

After a normal warm up and quick run we stopped to get our first wake boarder in the water for the summer. We did a couple of runs and as we went to pick up the user white smoke was coming out of the three vent holes on the back of the boat. Smoke was also coming out of the cup holders and by the driver’s seat. The smoke had a very powerful smell, like burnt rubber. When I opened the cover of the engine, after a couple of seconds, we heard a couple of pops. The check engine light never came on and the temperature gauge showed normal during the runs. After the pops and all the smoke started to appear I turned the key to power up the guages to see if they showed anything. The check engine light was illuminated also, the temperature gauge was pegged all the way to the right.

So the main point of the post, I am just trying to see what you all think went wrong, so I can go into the dealer educated.

Thank you
    Sounds like you burned the main belt off the engine.
    The belt drives the water pump and alternator, so this is a good reason why the boat will be over heated on the gauge.

Very slowly and gently drive it to the dock trailer it and get it to the dealer ASAP.
    Most likely you have a bad water pump or Alternator and the pully seized and with the engine running it will force the belt to spin and burn it through. The pop you herd was the belt im sure.

Take a look on the front of the engine, closer to the back of the boat and see if there is a belp on the pullies.

This all should be under warrenty as the engines are under a couple year warrenty
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default 2012 LSV Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Sounds like you burned the main belt off the engine.
    The belt drives the water pump and alternator, so this is a good reason why the boat will be over heated on the gauge.

Very slowly and gently drive it to the dock trailer it and get it to the dealer ASAP.
    Most likely you have a bad water pump or Alternator and the pully seized and with the engine running it will force the belt to spin and burn it through. The pop you herd was the belt im sure.

Take a look on the front of the engine, closer to the back of the boat and see if there is a belp on the pullies.

This all should be under warrenty as the engines are under a couple year warrenty
    Nice call mike! That sounds like a very likely scenario.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Thank you to everyone for the quick responses. I checked the hose on the boat and it was nice and tight and looked brand new. I also looked at the hoses that go into what I assume is the exhaust and they were melted. Some clamps were melted off too, so those could have been the pops possibly? Also, I checked the oil and it still looked brand new. I hope this didn't cause that much damage to the engine so we can get back on the water quickly.

Default 2012 LSV Smoking

Urghhh. That needs to go back to the dealer. Hope they cover it as I don't think that's gong to be a cheapo fix.

Would a bad t'stat be the cause, Mike or moombahighrider?
    Last edited by wolfeman131; 06-15-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Default 2012 LSV Smoking

[QUOTE=Would a bad t'stat be the cause, Mike?[/QUOTE]

Drew, I know you didn't ask me but I think a stuck t/stat with a few wakeboard pulls would definitely be the cause. I have been on the receiving end of an over heated engine (on my old boat) so have some experience with the suckiness of that situation.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Default 2012 LSV Smoking

Wait, I did ask you, too. Hate that you had to enjoy that suckiness.

Thanks for the reply.

Default 2012 LSV Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Urghhh. Would a bad t'stat be the cause, Mike or moombahighrider?
    Nice play. It's good to have skills...

Moderator skills.

I mean 'super' moderator skills.
    Last edited by moombahighrider; 06-15-2013 at 11:40 PM.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Your issue sounds very much like the same thing that happened to us last year. Our water pump went bad and had the exact same symptoms. We have the 345 surf engine and this is not the only instance of this happening from what my dealer said. It was covered under warranty.

They put some sort of kit to reroute the flow of water into or out of the pump and said it shouldn't happen again. Sorry, I'm not really mechanically inclined, and really didn't care about the why/or how of the problem. Just wanted it fixed and not to happen again.
    2012 Mojo
    2009 LS (SOLD!!!)
    2010 Tundra 5.7 Crewmax 4X4