Default Factory Kicker 10" Sub???

I read a thread somewhere, or maybe it was a derailed thread (more likey ), about some things you can do to help get a better sound from the Factory Kicker 10" Sub under the drivers side, but I can't seem to find that thread now...

I wanna say some of you guys sealed that box off somehow to make it enclosed, but don't remember exactly how/what was done to do this...
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

T,

Kicker does not make a true IB subwooofer, so if the OEM Kicker sub in your boat is not in an enclosure, it needs one to perform at its best. If the OEM enclosure is a half-hearted attempt at an enclosure thats the wrong size and poorly sealed, the sub deserves a proper enclosure.

If my memory serves me correctly, the OEM Kicker sub is the Kicker KM10. This is a very musical sub and WILL perform nicely on the 200 available watts from the ZXM-700.5 when in a sealed 1.0 net enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    T,

Kicker does not make a true IB subwooofer, so if the OEM Kicker sub in your boat is not in an enclosure, it needs one to perform at its best. If the OEM enclosure is a half-hearted attempt at an enclosure thats the wrong size and poorly sealed, the sub deserves a proper enclosure.

If my memory serves me correctly, the OEM Kicker sub is the Kicker KM10. This is a very musical sub and WILL perform nicely on the 200 available watts from the ZXM-700.5 when in a sealed 1.0 net enclosure.
    Yea I have no doubt it can do exactly what I need it to do. Right now the gain is only at 25% and it hits hard when I want to crank it, just sounds "hard" too. The way it is mounted right now into the footwell of the drivers floor doesn't seem to be the best way. I just figured it came factory like this, or maybe an after market job, I don't know... But it sounds like there is too much air escaping. It doesn't have that real deep *thud, know what I mean!? More of just a hard *hit. It's hard to explain.

That thread I read someone mentioned that where the sub was mounted in the footwell floor has a hole in the top for wires, a hole to the center ski locker, and I think a hole somewhere else that needs to be blocked off in order to get the same effect as an enclosed box. Hell, I wouldn't mind building a fully enclosed box that would fit under the driver side if I knew the measurements.
    I'm on the border and the closest "big city life" is 3 hrs away in San Antonio so I don't have many other options than build a box or find a way to seal the set up I got handed down from the original owner!

Thanks for the reply MLA!
    2008 LSV Blue on White

t, I put some insulation in behind the sub in my obv as I had mine in the footwell and it helped warm the sound on the cavity, but by no means did I get it totally sealed.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    t, I put some insulation in behind the sub in my obv as I had mine in the footwell and it helped warm the sound on the cavity, but by no means did I get it totally sealed.
    I may go that route first! Any certain kind/thickness? And how much, enough to fill most the area or just enough to make a cone behind the sub!?

Also I took some measurements real quick, of course I forgot a couple! At first I drew it out to go over the cup holders, only 6" wide so I don't lose the cup holders or much leg room, but I decided to stop the box at the cup holders to save time on trial and error! Too much cutting if I go that route

Other concern is which way to face the sub? Back at the driver seat or sideways into the hull above the cup holders??

Here's some pics
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371225514.168836.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371225534.384313.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371225554.934688.jpg
    2008 LSV Blue on White