Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

so wait a minute... the boat failed and sank, but due to some additional holes that were not part of the original design and added after the fact and will not be in a production system? sounds like an issue with the pr/advertising department trying to get a better shot. how can ramfill be to blame if the holes were NOT part of the original setup and will not be present in production boats?

this setup looks to me like a variation on the gate system from mb, just with a different fill location. that setup has been working for years.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    so wait a minute... the boat failed and sank, but due to some additional holes that were not part of the original design and added after the fact and will not be in a production system? sounds like an issue with the pr/advertising department trying to get a better shot. how can ramfill be to blame if the holes were NOT part of the original setup and will not be present in production boats?

this setup looks to me like a variation on the gate system from mb, just with a different fill location. that setup has been working for years.
    It is very similar with one exception. The "pure vert" system gravity fills (floods in at a stand still). The ramfill uses a scoop to force the water in at speed.

The stresses on the system are very different. The MB floods. The ramfill shoves the water into tanks with a flowrate that is speed dependant.

Look up water hammer to see what damage can be done when fluid comes to an abrupt halt.

My engineering background may just make me conservative minded, but IMO forcing 1000# of water into the hull of a fiberglass boat through dual 3" ports while at speed seems like a disaster in the making.

Literally thousands of hours of testing should go into this before it becomes a consumer product.

Quote Originally Posted by NateHaskovec View Post
    Literally thousands of hours of testing should go into this before it becomes a consumer product.
    I guess you're assuming that "thousands of hours" haven't gone into testing? Already been said, but I'm assuming that this is an R&D boat. Anybody remember that Mercedes commercial where they showed car after car being slammed into a wall to show how they tested for safety? I'm glad Centurion put it at the bottom of the lake vs one of us!

I haven't worked for a boat manufacturer, but I would guess that they all sink boats when testing new ideas and concepts and in working to make sure that us idiots don't find an easy way to hurt or kill ourselves, our families or others.

I'm excited to see the innovation and think it's great that they went to such lengths and expense to make sure it's a safe product to have on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by NateHaskovec View Post
    Attachment 17566

I would be more concerned about the boat in the video being on the bottom of the lake they shot the video on.
    think the bow is ugly
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    think the bow is ugly
    Lol. That too.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    I guess you're assuming that "thousands of hours" haven't gone into testing? Already been said, but I'm assuming that this is an R&D boat. Anybody remember that Mercedes commercial where they showed car after car being slammed into a wall to show how they tested for safety? I'm glad Centurion put it at the bottom of the lake vs one of us!

I haven't worked for a boat manufacturer, but I would guess that they all sink boats when testing new ideas and concepts and in working to make sure that us idiots don't find an easy way to hurt or kill ourselves, our families or others.

I'm excited to see the innovation and think it's great that they went to such lengths and expense to make sure it's a safe product to have on the water.
    Maybe they do have it engineered to be completely safe and reliable.

My point is that they sank the test boat. This makes me skeptical of a system I was skeptical of after just watching the video.

I love the progression of wakeboats and the builders seem to know what we want. I just hope they aren't pushing too hard to out-do each other and end up rushing to release products that push it too far.

Default Centurion Ramfill

And you know that was the ramfill boat? Remember what Abe Lincoln said, "don't believe everything you read on the interweb."

I think you just contradicted yourself in your comments..... You indicated that the "ramfill" test boat sank. You also stated that it forces water in "at speed". Looks to me like its sitting at the dock.

I'm in the camp that argues any boat will sink in minutes if a 1inch (or 3 or 4 inch) hole is left unplugged. If you don't think so, just take your drain plug out and lets see how long it takes?

I don't care what system you have. Tested or untested. If you have more water entering the boat than you do exiting it's a matter of time.

Who cares if a test boat goes down in the long run. Helps fine tune the final product that is mass produced for the general public. But stupidity can be the culprit of alot of accidents and would appear that in this situation it's guilty again!!

All that said.............I'm still not going to be buying a centurion anytime soon. Not my cup of tea

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Looks like you have to be moving to drain as well., the rear drain holes are below the water line, I assume they won't drain much at rest.

Where did the tower go in the sunk docked photo?
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Default Centurion Ramfill

Hmmmm . . .

Maybe the sunk boat isn't the one from the vid