Unhappy Possible Vapor Lock issue?

Hello all,

I have a 2008 LSV with the Indmar V-drive. I have had two occasions where I will run my boat around for 30 minutes to an hour, and then drop anchor to chill for a while. When I go to start back up, the boat acts like it's starving for fuel. It turns over just fine, and will sometimes start for a few seconds, but very rough. The only way I have been able to fix this is to find my in-line fuel filter, and pop it off and release the pressure from the line, and then sit for another 15 minutes or so. Once I get it running again, it runs strong and smooth. I always put the highest octane fuel available in the tank. I have read a little about vapor locks, but I don't completely understand the cause. Would it help to ad a fuel/water separator to the system? I have also heard running the blower for 5-10 minutes after helps. Any help would be awesome; this is quite frustrating.
    Last edited by toksik; 06-10-2013 at 05:09 PM.

If its a hot day could be the case. the heat in the engine compartment gets so hot that the fuel in the pump turns to vapour and an increased pressure. The fuel pump cannot pump vapour and thus no fuel will get to the engine. Pouring water on the pump will cool it condensing the vapour back to liquid and get you going again, or releasing the pressure as you do will accomplish the same thing. It does not occur as you are running as the fuel cools the fuel pump.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

On a hot day, I pretty much run my blower constantly and if I am going to anchor for awhile, I will open the engine compartment cover for a good 10 minutes or so to help cool the engine compartment down a bit. Following this procedure, I have never had vapor lock in the 7 years I have owned my boat (nor have I had to replace the blower motor) but then again, we don't see 90+ temps up here very often.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Thank you very much for the advice! I live in Utah, so the temps out here (at least in boating season) run on average in the mid 90's. I am going to Lake Powell over the weekend of the 4th of July, and I want to iron out all my issues. I am getting new trailer tires, and I have to replace a brake caliper too.
    Boat Macgyver in training.

2008 Mobius LSV "Blue Steel"

If it happens again, pour cool water on the fuel filter. I have had to do this a few times, and it fixes vapor lock for me every time. If it works for you, that must be the issue. Scared me the first time it happened.
    2006 Mobius LSV

I have posted this before, but will again for those that didn't see it. I had the vapor lock problem a couple of times. Now, I add Sta-Bil Marine Ethanol treatment every time I get gas (1 oz. per every 10 gal.) and I have never had the problem again. The advice above is good for treating the symptoms, but I prefer to prevent it all together.

As for a fuel/water separator, all the boats used to have them. My 2001 has one. Do they not come on the newer boats?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoomba View Post
    I have posted this before, but will again for those that didn't see it. I had the vapor lock problem a couple of times. Now, I add Sta-Bil Marine Ethanol treatment every time I get gas (1 oz. per every 10 gal.) and I have never had the problem again. The advice above is good for treating the symptoms, but I prefer to prevent it all together.

As for a fuel/water separator, all the boats used to have them. My 2001 has one. Do they not come on the newer boats?
    I will pick up the ethanol treatment and install the fuel/water separator. I'm not sure why my boat does not have one, but the in-line one is not sufficient in my opinion.

Thanks for the re-post!
    Boat Macgyver in training.

2008 Mobius LSV "Blue Steel"

Default MAP Sensor maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by toksik View Post
    I will pick up the ethanol treatment and install the fuel/water separator. I'm not sure why my boat does not have one, but the in-line one is not sufficient in my opinion.

Thanks for the re-post!
    I was having a problem with mine not starting this weekend (started up and sputtered for a bit then died, then it only cranks and cranks but doesn't catch), same thing happened last year about this time. Last year turned out to be the MAP sensor, so I unscrewed it from the top of the intake manifold, pulled it off, it started right up. I gave it a couple of hours, reinstalled it and it fired up, go figure. I'm going to buy an extra sensor and keep it in the boat in case it happens again.
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries