Default Antlers Resort and Marina on Lake Shasta – Opinions?

Hey gang,

We are planning to go to Antlers Resort and Marina on the Sacramento arm of the lake, 30 minutes north of Redding near Lakehead. We plan to go in mid August for about 5 days. This will be our first trip to Shasta. We will of course bring the boat and will stay at a cabin at the resort (my wife does not like to tent camp).

Here is a link to the resort website: http://www.shastalakevacations.com/

I understand that the water level at Shasta will probably be pretty low at this time of year. Before I book the cabin, I would love some feedback from those that know Shasta well and those that are familiar with Antlers resort as to what this part of Shasta is like, especially when the water is low. Are there good places to find smooth water relatively close to this resort? I don’t want to make the 6-7 hour drive only to find that we cannot find any smooth water on this part of the lake at this time of year. We plan to wakeboard, surf, and yes, do some tubing as well. Also, what is the approximate water temp at that time of year?

If anyone has stayed at this resort, some feedback on it would be great as well.

Thanks in advance!
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

1. Do not use their launch service!
    2. Cabins are nice, it's a short steep walk down to the marina.
    3. You can find glass, maybe 5-10 miles out a day, I ran up the arms and did a lot more miles though.
    4. Water drops a foot a day, I go end of July and its still plenty deep, but pay attention to the white markers, they are 6' tall and showing land. What was water when we arrived was not when we left.
    5. Plan on mooring your boat. Even the public launch is $8 a day, and they only have 87 octane on the entire lake for over $5 a gallon. Bring booster!

82* water! Nicest water I've ever been in.
    -Jake

Thanks Jake! The cabin rental includes a boat slip so I am good there. They said that time of year though, they float the marina 5 minutes down river cause it's too shallow at it's current location by then. Is that were you were launching from at the end of July?

When you say you can find glass 5-10 miles out a day, are you saying it's glass for 5-10 miles out from Antlers, or you have to go 5-10 miles out to find glass?

Is it an option to pull the boat out of the water and gas up at Lakehead or some other gas station on land?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Dang, it was not down river when I was there. There is a Shell station a couple of miles from the public ramp, probably a dollar cheaper, then you have to pay $8 to use the ramp. There is an area bigger then Haag lake where the marina is that isn't always busy, then you go under I5 and wind around for a few miles until you get to some better areas. 5-10 miles out will get you really good water.

Now you can easily drive to the water in your vehicle in a lot of areas, so if a guy had a bunch of gas cans you could take gas to your boat and not pull it to fuel, just a thought, ice is the other killer!
    -Jake