Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Battery Recommendation?

Well it finally happened...I'm the guy who had to be towed to the dock today. Still had a great time prior to that, and law of average said it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Our LSV is a 2010. We normally run the boat every weekend, and during the "winter months" here in Texas, which translates to November - February, we've always made it a habit to take the boat for a spin at least once a month to keep it from sitting too long. Because of this, I've never used or needed a trickle charger, because my battery never really ran down. When out, we ride the entire time whether it's wakeboarding or surfing, so draining the battery due to the jams has never been an issue as we don't ever just park and jam.

That being said, this winter we were pretty busy and went from October to March without using the boat at all. As would be expected the battery was dead and I charged it overnight before our first outing in March. We've taken it quite a few times since then, and the battery seemed fine each time. Well today we went with friends to Lake Somerville as opposed to our normal river. We went with some friends with the intention to just relax, act like kids with tube wars (I just turned 39 so I'm secure enough to enjoy a tube without worrying about looking like a wally!), and float around. We literally spent about 10-15 minutes with the radio on and the boat off and I guess that was enough. Hit the key and it barely turned over once, and then it wouldn't respond at all. No clicking or nothing. The blower would run, but it was faint.

In the grand scheme of things there are way worse problems to have. So no complaints, but I'm in the market for a new battery. Any specific battery you guys recommend? Also, I don't want to make a knee jerk reaction and get something I don't really need, but being at the wrong end of towing has me wondering if I should add a 2nd battery. Like I said before, we rarely, rarely hang out with the motor off and just listen to music. I'm guessing a new battery and a tender or trickle charger to keep it fresh will do, but wanted to get you guys' thoughts.
    Last edited by TL7; 06-09-2013 at 01:33 AM.
    Current: 2010 LSV
    Previous: 2007 Outback

Either a trickle charger or a battery disconnect like a knife switch as there are loads that will drain your battery over time.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

i have used west marine batts for the last few years..all i did was pull them from the boat during the winter( still working ), never had a problem.. now i use one for crank and 2 XS power XP 2000 batts for the acc.( Jfox showed them to me )
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

I am looking for some new batteries also. I have had the 2 optima blue tops in my boat now for 6 years. I use a pro mariner 2 bank charger and the batteries have lasted. I am looking into the Dekas now. I have read a lot of people have problems with the optimas so may e I got lucky. Also my friend was working at discount auto parts back then and the batteries were a discontinued style so I oy paid $50 per battery. Now they are roughly $240 each. I need a better alternative.

Amazingly enough, I still have the original battery in my boat. I have never took it out of the boat at all. Never been out of the battery holder. Batteries are very unpredictable and know one knows how long one will last.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

I'd ask for the brand name but by now the supplier would have changed 5x anyway. May as well start shopping though because it's going to go out on 4th of July weekend LIKE THE GRILL GAS ALWAYS DOES. Now I keep my backup tank full (and have 2 batteries).
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I have about the same boating style, mostly going but may hang out for about 20 min at most with the radio on, not to loud. I have a single battery. I have an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery. It was the store brand, Road Runner. Been good for me for the few years a I've had it. I also have a charger/maintainer for it while its parked.

This the charger. Picked it up locally for about $25. http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-...ger+maintainer
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Well I may have spoken too soon. I've had the charger hooked up for close to an hour now, and even when I flip the charger to "quick start" mode the engine won't even turn over. It won't even click. Everything else works as normal - blower, trim, radio, etc. showing around 14 volts. It's almost like the ignition or starter is not working. For the mechanics out there, am I just being impatient with the charger or is there something else I should look at? I don't mind taking the battery out and having it tested or replacing it. I should anyway. But before I unhook everything I'd like to be confident that the battery is my issue.
    Current: 2010 LSV
    Previous: 2007 Outback

Quote Originally Posted by TL7 View Post
    Well I may have spoken too soon. I've had the charger hooked up for close to an hour now, and even when I flip the charger to "quick start" mode the engine won't even turn over. It won't even click. Everything else works as normal - blower, trim, radio, etc. showing around 14 volts. It's almost like the ignition or starter is not working. For the mechanics out there, am I just being impatient with the charger or is there something else I should look at? I don't mind taking the battery out and having it tested or replacing it. I should anyway. But before I unhook everything I'd like to be confident that the battery is my issue.
    Above the battery on the wall is a black square thing. Under it is a switch (circuit breaker). Close it. Check kill switch. Oh, two bats and a perko go a long way.

Sd2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

Quote Originally Posted by TL7 View Post
    What is the static charge of the battery? This is the at rest voltage of the battery.