Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Towing your boat long distance – Do’s and Don’t

Boat also has a snap on cover for bore and main. I would think that would be ok but worried about losing it at speed.

From the mobile
    Current - 2018 Moomba Craz
    Past - 2013 Moomba Mojo
    Past - 2004 Moomba XLV

Default Towing your boat long distance – Do’s and Don’t

Quote Originally Posted by jsly04XLV View Post
    Boat also has a snap on cover for bore and main. I would think that would be ok but worried about losing it at speed.

From the mobile
    I have the snap on covers and that is what I tow with. I tow lots of miles to boat. You will get some light marking on the top rails of the bow where the cover folds over the fiberglass and around the bow grab handles. I have to regularly clean that area because of the cover. After a number of years of doing this there are light marks in the gel coat in this area and I find I need a bit more elbow grease to keep it clean. Maybe some polartec fabric strips or the like could be sandwiched between the cover and bow rails to alleviate this?

If I had the money laying around, I would get an evolution cover, but maybe next year? I can't afford to tow without a cover, as I drop the z5 into the cockpit of the boat and have the surfboards and all sorts of other stuff in there as well. It all gets covered by the snap on cover and I don't have to worry about it flying out or getting wet/dirty when I get caught in an afternoon monsoon (which we get almost daily up here in the summer). You won't lose your snap on covers at speed- my experience with them has been great, with the exception of the light bow marks, which i have found are cleanable. Cinch the snap covers down tight with the rear straps and you should be good.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Did I miss the obvious? Fill the hubs/bearing buddies/oil bath/etc.
    89 Supra Saltare Restoration Project

As you mentioned, I wrap the speakers with plastic wrap. I also do the tower and the wakeboard racks (3-wraps of plastic around the rack and break off going toward the back so the air doesn't catch the seam).

I also carry an extra rachet strap in case there is a bearing issue. Dual axle trailer, can remove the wheel, rachet up the axle and get to a safe place to diagnose.

I don't trailer with a cover. Last boat I did and it blew the seam apart at the threads. We leave the wakeboards and seats in the boat.

Carry a hammer, some basic wrenches if you are handy enough to fix things. Check tires and bearing for heat at each gas/rest stop.

I will do the rachet for the swim platform since I read that here.

Quote Originally Posted by moombahighrider View Post
    I have the snap on covers and that is what I tow with. I tow lots of miles to boat. You will get some light marking on the top rails of the bow where the cover folds over the fiberglass and around the bow grab handles. I have to regularly clean that area because of the cover. After a number of years of doing this there are light marks in the gel coat in this area and I find I need a bit more elbow grease to keep it clean. Maybe some polartec fabric strips or the like could be sandwiched between the cover and bow rails to alleviate this?

If I had the money laying around, I would get an evolution cover, but maybe next year? I can't afford to tow without a cover, as I drop the z5 into the cockpit of the boat and have the surfboards and all sorts of other stuff in there as well. It all gets covered by the snap on cover and I don't have to worry about it flying out or getting wet/dirty when I get caught in an afternoon monsoon (which we get almost daily up here in the summer). You won't lose your snap on covers at speed- my experience with them has been great, with the exception of the light bow marks, which i have found are cleanable. Cinch the snap covers down tight with the rear straps and you should be good.
    How do you fit your z5 in the boat?

I think it was mentioned to me here that Transhield is a reusable shrink wrap. Worth looking into. I did and it will cost about $200 for my Supra. Haven't decided if I will get it or not.

We towed our Supra with just a snap cover from Utah to New Jersey, no problems. I now have a full cover that tightens up below the rub rail and has additional straps that connect to the trailer fenders.

I'll be towing it down to SC next month. I'm going to need new tires on the trailer by the end of this season definitely, starting to see cracking on the sidewalls.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Cigars n scotch View Post
    How do you fit your z5 in the boat?.

'08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Z-5 fits but only if you have a rotating seat.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Z-5 fits but only if you have a rotating seat.
    Not true for me, mike. My dealer suggested it and helped me drop the z5 in that way when I bought the boat. obviously, that was well before I did the swivel seat mod.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Quote Originally Posted by moombahighrider View Post
    Not true for me, mike. My dealer suggested it and helped me drop the z5 in that way when I bought the boat. obviously, that was well before I did the swivel seat mod.
    Sweet wish i had known how to make it fit in mine i would have liked to do that but i thought it only worked if it had a swivel seat, I know Newty travels with his in the boat but he has a swivel seat too.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

It's definitely easier with the swivel, but it did work without. The one benefit to the swivel now is that I can leave a board or two strapped on the z5 and it still fits under the cover without rubbing. I could not do that before, because the z5 sat higher and would have rubbed the cover.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro