Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Everyone is on top of the trailer but lets talk about the truck pulling the boat.

Don't use Overdrive unless you are on flat ground, going up hills put it in what ever gear you have under OD, this will depend on your tow vehicle.

If you tow through a lot of hills, take it out of OD before you go down the hills, keep it in a gear low enough your not getting pushed down the hill by the boat and not riding your brakes the whole way down the hill.

Make sure your oil, trans, coolant are in great shape before towing.
    Make sure if your truck has over 80K you have replaced the serpentine belt, and the coolant hoses are in good shape.
    Have the brakes looked at by a shop that does free brake checkes.
    If you have Drums on the rear get them adjusted before the trip
    Make sure you have a Good spare on your truck for the truck with the right stuff to change it
    If you plan to tow at night make sure all the lights are working on the truck and trailer
    Bring a decent flashlight

All this has to tow with how fare you have to travel but personally this is the short version of my check list before i tow long distance, such as this summer in Sept i will be towing the boat over 3K miles to and from AZ and honestly its not the trailer and the tires i worry about, its my Rig and how hard she has to work to pull that big ass Bestia up and down the mountains lol.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default Towing your boat long distance – Do’s and Don’t

Mike, don't you have a diesel 250? My dad has a Dodge 2500 Cummins and his fifth wheel weighs way more than a boat and it does fine up and down the mountains out west. I think your rig will be able to handle the boat and hills no problem. Nothing to worry about.
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by E4NASH View Post
    Mike, don't you have a diesel 250? My dad has a Dodge 2500 Cummins and his fifth wheel weighs way more than a boat and it does fine up and down the mountains out west. I think your rig will be able to handle the boat and hills no problem. Nothing to worry about.
    Wasn't talking about my rig was talking about the OP lol.
    I don't know what rig he has.

On my F350 i honestly don't worry about anything i just click the Tow/Haul button and it does the rest, all i have to watch is my EGTs as i fly up the mountain doing 75 like the cars do LOL
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Make sure you always tow with a cover on!!! I have had the unfortunate circumstance where my windshield caught a rock and shattered it. Boat windshields are very expensive! I was lucky that it only shattered my center window (only about $150 to fix), the curved ones run about $1500 and are not readily available (at least in my research)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Nice catch on the paddlewheel!

Don't tow with a factory cover on. It will flap against the gel coat & leave marks.
    Boat Macgyver in training.

2008 Mobius LSV "Blue Steel"

Default Re: Towing your boat long distance – Do’s and Don’t

These are great for towing... no more marks..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PPN720/..._am_us?ie=UTF8

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

What about the top? I have the Z5 and dont want to damage it. Should I collapse the tower?
    2008 Mobius LSV, Z5, Gravity ballast, wakeplate

Quote Originally Posted by slicks View Post
    What about the top? I have the Z5 and dont want to damage it. Should I collapse the tower?

Z5-remove the canves or stow it in the bed of a truck if ya have one, tower stays up
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by toksik View Post
    Make sure you always tow with a cover on!!!
    Just about the only covers that have been recommended to tow with on this forum are the Evolution covers which are specifically designed for this. There have been numerous posts from folks that have had very bad experiences with the straps and/or cover leaving serious damage to the gel coat.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be pulling the boat from Charlotte to Lake Lanier (214miles) and this will be the longest pull by far. Haven't paid much attention to the trailer since buying the boat Oct 2011 due to the minimal (5miles or less 4 times a year) towing conditions it sees. I'll have some long nights ahead of me until we take off Friday to go over this checklist. Recently replaced just one tire, that wasn't holding air, knowing the rest would need to be done eventually. Guess maybe my eventually has arrived. Going back and forth on towing with the trailer cover or not. Is the damage being caused by the straps that go down to the trailer rubbing on the boat? Definitely think I'm going to use the plastic wrap on the speakers and back of the mirror idea though.

PS. Anybody have or have used the BoatsUS towing service? Have AAA but thinking, even if only because of this trip, $43 bucks may be worth it for some piece of mind. If there is any members that want to toss out their info to me in a PM I'll throw you in the referral box. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jsly04XLV; 06-11-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    Current - 2018 Moomba Craz
    Past - 2013 Moomba Mojo
    Past - 2004 Moomba XLV

If you have the factory mooring cover, I strongly suggest you don't tow with the cover on. Yes, those straps that run from the cover to the trailer will flap against the gel and/or painted surface of the trailer and will leave marks. You can try wrapping towels, pool noodles, etc around them, but over the years folks have posted time and time again about how these items fell off, shifted, etc. and damaged the boat and/or trailer.

The past few years that folks have traveled up to Sinclair for the Jam (not this year ) from FL, so some 5+ and 9+ hour drives, the covers were off except for Moombadaze who has an Evolution. Kaneboats has done the plastic wrap trick on the tower & speakers and it is nice to simply unwrap vs cleaning off the bugs. You can buy it on a roll with a handle at an office supply/hardware store in the moving supplies.

Any way you decide to do it, travel safe & have fun!