Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have not done a ballast system myself, but based on years of reading the forum, and having friends try it, I am going to put my vote in for #4 as well. And as folks said, if you switch sides a lot, get the X-Link system as well. I would also recommend ripping out everything and starting from scratch, as it sounds like you have already started. It seems like trying to save pieces and rework things and save money ends up causing more frustration than it is worth.

I guess I wish there were a faster impeller style pump for you guys using the giant bags. For the 1100# sacs, it is still an 11-12 minute fill time. Maybe its not that big a deal, it just sounds like a long time. Also, with the X-Link the time to swap sides should be reduced to about half as much time.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoomba View Post
    I guess I wish there were a faster impeller style pump for you guys using the giant bags. For the 1100# sacs, it is still an 11-12 minute fill time. Maybe its not that big a deal, it just sounds like a long time.
    I think folks make a much bigger deal out of this than it is in reality. If you know you're going to switch out, when the current rider falls, you flip the switches. By the time you circle back and swap out riders, you're easily 1/2 way thru the cycle. By the time everybody gets situated in the boat/water you're 3/4 thru the cycle so you might be sitting around for 3 min. This time is cut down if you're running weight in the offside as you're maybe only dumping/filling 1/2 the bag.

I did number 4 last years, best investment I have made for my boat. I just "T" off the center sac into my bow sac and use 3 pumps to fill four bags, works perfect. The reversible pumps are awesome. i would recommend to anyone looking to up grade.
    2017 Helix

Wakemakers 1050s
    Bow bag ( Surf edition)
    Autowake

What - plan ahead? Who does that...

I noticed a huge diff in drain time going from Rule 700's on 3/4" lines to T-1200's on 1" lines. That seemingly agonizing "is it done yet" wait disappeared. Filling same deal basically. I try to make goofy riders go last but that rarely ever works because me (regular) and daughter (goofy) are typically the first ones willing to hit the water.

I'm biased towards big fast aerators as long as they are plumbed in correctly to void priming issues. <jab>
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    I think folks make a much bigger deal out of this than it is in reality. If you know you're going to switch out, when the current rider falls, you flip the switches. By the time you circle back and swap out riders, you're easily 1/2 way thru the cycle. By the time everybody gets situated in the boat/water you're 3/4 thru the cycle so you might be sitting around for 3 min. This time is cut down if you're running weight in the offside as you're maybe only dumping/filling 1/2 the bag.
    Yes, as soon as the stopwatch gets to "0" on that rider's turn, sound the airhorn and start pumping across.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Ballast pump advice?

Thanks berg lol. For some of us below water line space is very difficult to come by.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Still no consensus

I don't really have space issues in the big XLV, but it takes a DAMN long time to fill or swap with the 1100s, and I'm even considering adding a 450 to the rider side, and having to swap that with either a T-line or another pump.

I hesitate on the reversibles because they're not that fast, burn power / have to leave boat running. Either way I'll probably end up with an X-link so maybe I'll make my goofy rider pay for that first!

It would be nice to have some legitimate testing data of the various pumps fill speed. Most of the data I've seen is flawed in some way.

-J
    2008 Mobius XLV | 325HP | Acme 1235| lots of ballast!

If fast is what you want, Put three new 1 inch mushroom thru the bottoms and three new tsunami 1200's for each bag, scrap the manifold and use vented loops. Put a x link between if needed. Swap all lines to one inch. Swap out drain pumps if faster draining is required. This seems like the fastest method for unrestricted fills.

Ps not the most efficient to drain bags flat, with the two pump per bag system.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    My vote.......
    I would check that box as well.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo