Default 07 outback direct drive taking on water

My direct drive is constantly taking on water when running. Not when sitting. Have to run bilge every time I stop. I pulled up the floor to expose the compartment behind engine and it has a big rubber clamp around shaft. Is that a "dripless seal"? Any ideas on likely suspects or information on how to change out shaft seals?

Default 07 outback direct drive taking on water

Can you post a pic of it please?
    2014 Moomba Mobius LSV
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold

You most likely have a regular shaft seal, unless it was upgraded after purchase, which can be tightened to reduce the leaking. It shouldn't vary greatly even while running unless you have an alignment or bent shaft issue. Is this definitely the place the water is coming in? oops I'm bad , the 07 do have a dripless........check the supply water to see where its coming from and your alignment.....most likely the seal needs replacing. But I would check and adjust the alignment first.
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 06-09-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I have on 07 LS (direct drive) with the dripless. I too am taking on water. Can the dripless be tightened like a regular shaft seal? I don't see anywhere to tighten it.

Garn
    Garn
    2007 Mobius LS (Direct Drive)

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    .most likely the seal needs replacing. But I would check and adjust the alignment first.
    @DOCDRS which seal are you referring to? The dripless seal? If so, anyone know how to do that? Also, how do you check alignment?
    Garn
    2007 Mobius LS (Direct Drive)

I would also check your hoses, I had a hose leak on mine.
    2007 Moomba Outback V

you can get the seals from OJ props or skidim. you have to determine if its the housing or the seal leaking. the cooling water line should be from between the impeller and the thermostat housing. Generally the dripless will get worse as the engine gets hotter if its the housing, if the seal is gone then its should stay constant regardless of engine temp. I believe the cat engines will cause seal housing failure quicker if cooled with exhaust water as they run hotter in the exhaust manifold than the card or efi models. engine alignment can be found in the how to section. You only need to remove the shaft coupler to replace the dripless seal and or housing.....its difficulty is similar to engine alignment or vdrive impeller replacement
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug