Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weighting help

Default Weighting help

Hey guys new to the thread and trying to figure out the best set up for my boat. I have been reading a lot of good info from the previous threads but had a little more specific question I couldn't find the answer to and I didn't want to hijack a thread.

My wife and I are new to wakesurfing and trying to get the right weight in the boat. We like to go out by ourselves a lot and get ALL the runs haha. We have an 08 lsv and currently have a 565 in the surf side and 400 in the ski locker. I just purchased a 750 for surf side locker so that will leave me with an extra stock 400 and the 565. With just running the 565 we could hit the sweet spot but it was difficult to stay in it and could really on stay with it when more people were in the boat. My question is when my 750 comes in what should I do with the other bags? Can I just put the 565 on top of the center and call it good? My concern is I don't know if its ok to have more weight in the center of the boat than that back locker. Really want to get into surfing and appreciate the advice!

You have to get the LSV to lean over. Seriously consider cutting the cooler out and using your extra 400 under there. First, put the 750 in the rear on the surf side. You can try the 565 up front but it might be too much. Then again, you may not be able to fill it all the way anyway. Make sure you are running from 9.5 to about 10.5 MPH and in at least 10 feet of water (too shallow and it flattens the wave out terribly). Your wake plate should be all the way up and then adjust down from there to lengthen the pocket. With only two of you, you might want the driver to stand in the aisle instead of sitting on the seat.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Agree with the above also but i would put that 565 as far forward in the walkway as possible or use the 400 in the walkway as far forward as you can. I really wouldn't worry about putting the 400 under the seats and removing the cooler unless you goto a traditional IBS bag under the seats in the bow.

I'd be more worried about the boat listing so much the rub rail will be in the water when at idle.

If you do decide to run the 400 under the seats then you will also need to run counter weight in the non surf rear locker.

Apx 300 lbs. This is needed because as you list the boat over more and more, you will actually cause the non surf side of the boat to leave the water, and you need the rear of the boat in the water on both sides to make sure as much of the V from the front half of the hull is in the water, other wise the boat will ride so nose high you lose the V in the water and this helps to shape that wave.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

my 08's set up

750 port rear locker
    factory 400 under port seat base with the cooler (ice melter) removed
    factory 400 in ski locker

sometimes would add the other factory 400 in the walkway

wakeplate about 75% up (bow up position)

about 10 mph

I did purchase a 1100 lb bag but felt it did better with the 750
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I can't wait to get out there with my new sack where we surf water doesn't go below 20ft so we are good there. I have been going too fast though 10.5 to 12 lol noob mistake!

Mmandley thanks for that last paragraph I did not know that stuff and its really good advice! I am hoping that 565 will fill all the way up in the front, I will let y'all know and try to get some pics put up...

The time we were able to ride free of the rope I remember having the wake plate around 75%...must be something to it. On the wake am I looking for the curl to be further back?

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post

Apx 300 lbs. This is needed because as you list the boat over more and more, you will actually cause the non surf side of the boat to leave the water, and you need the rear of the boat in the water on both sides to make sure as much of the V from the front half of the hull is in the water, other wise the boat will ride so nose high you lose the V in the water and this helps to shape that wave.

im wondering if all the other stuff in the other locker did the same thing, as i never had a balast bag in there
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by Landlockbeachbum View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies guys, I can't wait to get out there with my new sack where we surf water doesn't go below 20ft so we are good there. I have been going too fast though 10.5 to 12 lol noob mistake!

Mmandley thanks for that last paragraph I did not know that stuff and its really good advice! I am hoping that 565 will fill all the way up in the front, I will let y'all know and try to get some pics put up...
    12 is a little fast for the LSV but as you add weight you will want to speed up.

Speeding up does a few different things to the wave,

If you dont want the big ramp <transition> that forms right behind the swim deck then speeding up will flatten this out some and cause the push <power> of the wave to go farther back and also make the wave longer.

Carefull when you speed up though, if you go too fast the roster tail of the wave will crash on top of the wave making it white and washy <dirty> because the boat will try to flatten out.

Also if you speed up depending on your board, you will need a faster board in the wave to keep up with the boat.

Generally i ask people when they are surfing, does it feel like you are always on your front foor trying to seed the board up? If so then the boat is probally going a little too fast for you.

If you say you are always on your back foot then you might need to move up on the board a little

If the wave feels washy or soft under your board then the boat is probally going too slow and needs to speed up.

You will find the speed you like once you get on the wave, generally a good start is 9.5 - 10.5 but i find i prefer to ride at 10.8 to 11.2 and i have gone as fast as 12 when we have a lot of people.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    im wondering if all the other stuff in the other locker did the same thing, as i never had a balast bag in there
    Very possible, you can also just let people sit on that side of the boat to create the same effect.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by Landlockbeachbum View Post
    The time we were able to ride free of the rope I remember having the wake plate around 75%...must be something to it. On the wake am I looking for the curl to be further back?
    Yes the farther back the curl or the white wash the better, the white wash slows you down.

our 08 LSV Wave Regular but this is with a 650 IBS in the Bow

Same boat Goofy and we ran an additional 400 under the seats behind the driver.

[COLOR="#696969"]