Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default I'm in the market for a new 10 inch sub.

It's going under the driver seat. What would you guys suggest.
    05 Moomba LSV

i just put two 10'' subs under mine. they are polks and im running a polk 330 amp with it too
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

Default Re: I'm in the market for a new 10 inch sub.

Lots of options. Do you already have an amp? Budget in mind? Have a box, comfortable building one or prefer to buy one?

What boat?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Lots of options. Do you already have an amp? Budget in mind? Have a box, comfortable building one or prefer to buy one?

What boat?
    LSV..on that note as well..building a box is not to hard..if you saw what my box looked like before i wrapped it in the carpet you would think ( along w/ me and my friends ) like crap..but it came out well..alli had was a skill saw, circular saw and liquid nails( pic of it under my topic of wiring
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

I'm thinking of building a box this year. Will be watching this stuff carefully.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I had a box built to fit under my driver seat. I'm open on the budget and I have 1000 watt amp for the sub so power is not really an issue.
    05 Moomba LSV

Amp model? To give sub advice, "they" will need to know more specs. Is the 1,000 watts at 2 ohm load or a 4 ohm load, what are the power ratings at 12 volts, etc. Easiest just to post up amp model. If you have it, post up the size of the box as well bc that also could play into sub choice. Sealed or ported?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

As far as recommendations, I don't really know as I don't keep up with the stuff, but I will tell you the setup I went with if it helps at all.

I have a Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 (10" SVC; 4 ohm; 350Wrms rating) in a sealed box with the recommended volume of 0.60 cu. ft. under my helm (behind the kick panel) facing toward the bow, and down slightly toward the floor. It is powered by a Rockford Fosgate Punch P200.2 (4 ohm bridged; 200Wrms rating). This sub really pounds. Most folks can't believe it is only one 10, and my wife hates it. I added a Remote Bass Boost knob so I can adjust it some to make it not so loud, but only controlling the bass boost, it only sort of works. I wanted a remote gain control, but they didn't make one for this amp.

I would not have normally picked an Infinity subwoofer, but Crutchfield had these 2 for 1 back in 2007 and I had a buddy that wanted one. I have been very happy with it. They don't make the 10.1 any more, it's now the Kappa 100.9w, but I don't know what is different. The box size has increased to 0.75 cu. ft. though.

For the amp, it seems kind of small for that sub, but here was my reasoning. When I bought the boat, the old sub was powered by a Hart HT-400 (4 ohm bridged; 280Wrms). When I upgraded subs, I kept that amp and it sounded awesome. So when it died, I knew that I didn't need any more power in an amp. I had been running a RF P450.2 for my tower speakers, and I liked it, and I knew that RF Punch amps were underrated on their spec sheets, (my P450.2 was rated at 100Wx2 @ 4ohms, tested at 165Wx2) I went with the P200.2 and have been very happy with it.

Long story longer, I think I would look for quality subs with small enclosure requirements since space is often an issue for our boats.

I have been running an old Q-logic prefab ported box for years with an even older hand me down JL 12. It was reliable and loud but was starting to fall apart. I put a new Alpine Type R in the box and am very impressed. Good price, handles 1000 watts rms, very loud.
    2005 Supra Launch 21v
    325 HP

I second the alpine type r. Have a 12 that I love and get compliments on it all the time. Sealed enclosure and takes very little encloser volume.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
    Current - 2018 Moomba Craz
    Past - 2013 Moomba Mojo
    Past - 2004 Moomba XLV