Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Ouchita

Default Re: Lake Ouchita

Seems like alot of stories come out of that place!

Pm Shane

Went down to see how much the weekend rain brought up the lake ... Quite a bit ...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Default Re: Lake Ouchita

I went last weekend and cruised the entire lake, u can find some smooth spots almost anoywhere on it. If u don't mine not as clear of water, head to around demby point and the traffic is really low, if u want really pretty water and some good spots as well, head down towards the damn. Awesome lake. Real deep just watch for the shallow buoys
    2009 moomba Mobius lsv

Matty gotta watch out for the rocky bottom. Hit a submerged 'rock bar' and did 7k damage to my boat. My brand new 1847 trashed, need new rudder, new prop shaft and 2 engine mounts. Plus fiber and gel repair. When you pick up the houseboat, they'll give you a map. Ask them to show you Hotel Island on the map. We camped out there the first night and it was a great spot. Best thing to do is jump in your skiboat get out there real quick and make sure no other houseboat is already there. If not, camp out there til the houseboat gets there or throw some stuff on shore.

We were looking for a new spot to put the houseboat when I hit the 'rockbar'

Check the map image I included of Hotel Island and the cove we stayed in
    Hotel Island.jpgP6230745.jpgP6230775.jpgP6230791.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2009 LSV Liquid Force Edition
    - Gravity III - Upgraded 900lb rear locker
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - Polk MM6501UM - Kicker IX500.4
    - Kicker CompVX 12" - Kicker IX1000.1
    - Pair Wetsounds Rev 10s - JL Audio HD750/1
    - RGB LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by Clamcakes View Post
    If not, camp out there til the houseboat gets there or throw some stuff on shore

On the Corps lakes, you need to be there sometime during the day. I'm amused by the number of people who put stuff out only to be confiscated by the Corps especially before a holiday. People come back to their spot, their stuff is gone. they try to find where it is stored and then get a ticket on top of that.

http://swf67.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/s...on/title36.pdf

(c) The unauthorized placement of camping equipment or other items on a campsite and/or personal appearance at a campsite without daily occupancy for the purpose of reserving that campsite for future occupancy is prohibited.

327.15 Abandonment and impoundment of personal property.
    (a) Personal property of any kind shall not be abandoned, stored or left unattended upon project lands or waters. After a period of 24 hours, or at any time after a posted closure hour in a public use area or for the purpose of providing public safety or resource protection, unattended personal property shall be presumed to be abandoned and may be impounded and stored at a storage point designated by the District Commander, who may assess a reasonable impoundment fee. Such fee shall be paid before the impounded property is returned to its owner.
    (b) Personal property placed on Federal lands or waters adjacent to a private residence, facility and/or developments of any private nature for more than 24 hours without permission of the District Commander shall be presumed to have been abandoned and, unless proven otherwise, such presumption will be sufficient to impound the property and/or issue a citation as provided for in Sec. 327.25.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Damn that underwater picture hurts to look at....
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

P6240836.jpgP6250916.jpg

I meant place items for a 'short period of time'. Not all day. Best option would be to cruise over in your boat and grab the spot and then call the houseboat and let them know to head over.

Man Berger, the noise it made when we hit that rockbar!!! Man I never want to hear that sound again. It sounded like the whole bottom of the boat got ripped out. I threw on a mask and expected the worse when I went underwater to inspect it. Saw it was only the prop and some fiber repair and was somewhat relieved.

I almost passed out when the estimate came back at 7k for the repair. I thought it was the prop, shaft guide and a little bit of fiber work.
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - RGB LEDs

My bottom hit a few years ago was just a big THUD off a deadhead piling, then the boat wobbling severely and we were only idling at maybe 5mph. I think the sound of hitting a rockbar like that, at any speed, would be a recurring nightmare for me...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

We were going about 20
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - RGB LEDs

I was there this past Sunday and there is a good cove off of island 3 that you can get back in on protected real well. Bear creek is what we call it. Lake was up and a lot of limbs and trees floating from the storms.

It was the first trip in my new to me 06 outback V, so I might have been extra cautious watching for stuff

Life has gotten in the way so I was just able to catch back up. I just got their large map in the mail and was able to check those spots out. Thanks for that great info, I am sure I will have some questions later after I look at thing but it looks like a really awesome lake and huge lake.

But what Clamcakes said is exactly what has me nervous. Just reading about that makes my stomach knot up. Was the rock bar in near shoreline/islands or just a hump out of the blue? The map shows a lot of 40+' depths I so want to try and be overly cautious. The group I am going with is probably past the age to do much purposeful wake-boarding so we primarily surf now but do always appreciate smooth water.
    '05 XLV with '11 hull