Default 2000 Outback fuel or electrical issue

2000 Outback 5.7 Carb Indmar- Last season ran up river for an hour no issues- shut off for an hour- rode back down the river and it acted like it ran out of fuel- got it to run then it wouldnt restart- no fuel-
    replaced the fuel pump- Carter electric- Replaced plugs,wires,cap, rotor while I was was there- Took it out and had same issue-- Drained tank,rebuilt carb,replaced distributor module and changed fuel pressure sensor from 3 wire to two wire-- Took it out again and did the same thing- What else could it be? Fuel line? Circuit breaker? Oh yeah only 165 hours.....Boat will idle but after it warms up starts to break down...

Have you verified you're getting fuel all the time? Crack the fuel line going to carb, jump the two wire oil pressure sensor and the pump will run with key in run position. I had the 3 wire sensor fail and replaced it with 2 wire from DIM and that one failed with 5 hours on it. Could possibly be the anti siphon valve on the fuel tank.
    Last edited by 98Roo; 06-02-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    -Eric
    1998 Outback

Thanks for the reply- Will give that a shot today- Do you think the fuel line is collapsing under load? Maybe? yesterday I ran in the driveway- idled fine- ran for about 1/2 hour- ran the RPM up to 2K for a few then it died. I let it sit and then cranked it an hour later and it died quickly- Will get back to you later this afternoon -

Default Re: 2000 Outback fuel or electrical issue

Vent plugged?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Vent on tank?

Quote Originally Posted by jjoneskw View Post
    2000 Outback 5.7 Carb Indmar- Last season ran up river for an hour no issues- shut off for an hour- rode back down the river and it acted like it ran out of fuel- got it to run then it wouldnt restart- no fuel-
    replaced the fuel pump- Carter electric- Replaced plugs,wires,cap, rotor while I was was there- Took it out and had same issue-- Drained tank,rebuilt carb,replaced distributor module and changed fuel pressure sensor from 3 wire to two wire-- Took it out again and did the same thing- What else could it be? Fuel line? Circuit breaker? Oh yeah only 165 hours.....Boat will idle but after it warms up starts to break down...
    This sounds very similar to my problems. It started doing the same thing after I took it out of storage last year. Just like you, it just seemed like it ran out of gas. When I'd pull the line off above the gas tank, it would be bone dry from the tank all the way to the pump. A lot of times it would start up but quickly run out of gas. I replaced the one way check valve above the fuel tank and thought for sure that would be the fix. No luck. Just replaced the fuel lines, fuel filter, and pump. Idled it in the driveway just fine yesterday, but haven't had the chance to take it out yet. I'm hoping it was the pump, filter or combination of both. The pump seemed to be running loud. Now it's quiet after replacing it.

I've double checked my vent and it seems to be fine (blowing air through the vent line to the gas cap). Not really sure how to verify the fuel cap is allowing air into the vent under vacuum. Might try a run with the cap a little loose if I'm still having issues. Not a long term solution, but might help identify if the vent is able to suck air properly.

Looking forward to what you find out.
    2006 Outback DD

mine wouldnt go above 1500 RPMs before it would bogg down and wanna die..i replaced my fuel filter and ran some "dragon fire " carb cleaner through the fuel pump. then the next day i ran mine down the canal and got here up to 4000rpm's
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

Not a fuel issue-- started at rear of boat, Vent open, fuel check valve not stuck, Boat gets warm and loses spark- Replaced plugs,wires, coil, distributor module,cap and rotor- something is getting hot and then shutting down boat after running for 30 minutes- Anyone out there have an ideas? Ready to get on water but can't.....

I know this thread is old but did y'all figure out what was going on because my outback is doing the same thing.