Default Summarizing Help...

Hey guys. I am right at the end of getting my boat summarized, and at the moment of truth... however, I can't get the fresh water line into the water pump to seal up. I pull it off each winter to get the water out, like most all the rest of us do, and for whatever reason it doesn't want to seal up this year. I've tried everything I can think of - even to the extent of cutting of 3/4" of the reinforced hose to try to get "fresh" rubber on the seal. I just can't get it to stop leaking - and it leaks just under garden hose pressure.

Do any of you guys have any tricks to get these to seal up??? I'm at my wits end with this thing this year - it's fought me before, but I've tried 6 different times to re-connect it... help!!!
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

First make sure the barbed fitting and inner hose are clean and free from any corrosion or deposits of any kind. I would try to warm the hose up with a heat gun and then double clamp it while its still warm.

Maybe the automotive store has something to seal the hose. When I winterize, everything gets reconnected after the water stops.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by squeeg333 View Post
    Hey guys. I am right at the end of getting my boat summarized, and at the moment of truth... however, I can't get the fresh water line into the water pump to seal up. I pull it off each winter to get the water out, like most all the rest of us do, and for whatever reason it doesn't want to seal up this year. I've tried everything I can think of - even to the extent of cutting of 3/4" of the reinforced hose to try to get "fresh" rubber on the seal. I just can't get it to stop leaking - and it leaks just under garden hose pressure.

Do any of you guys have any tricks to get these to seal up??? I'm at my wits end with this thing this year - it's fought me before, but I've tried 6 different times to re-connect it... help!!!
    Sounds like something is cracked and when you tighten it, its only making it worse.

Try just tighting the hose clamp around the water intake, no hose on it, this way you can see what happens. I bet something is wrong on the engine side. IDK how but in the big picture, tighting a hose to a fitting isn't rocket science, so it has to be something else then just the hose..

You can also try emery cloth, or really fine sandpaper like 1500-2000 grit wet sanding paper to smooth the intake section.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks for the replys guy. I haven't had a chance to re-tackle it this weekend - had a garage sale. But I have had that end of the hose split before, and I had to remove enough to get to clean hose. I thoroughly checked the end of the hose this year and it looks just fine.

I think I'll get myself a new hose clamp, just to make sure this one isn't doing anything strange to the hose. And I'll get in there with a mirror and see if I can see any cracks in the pump or anything on the engine side. I agree Mike, it shouldn't be rocket science - but I seem to always have leaks at hose clamps (usually ones I put on) whether it be the crimp style on the ballast mods I've made or re-connected hoses in various spots. Not sure what my deal is!!

Stupid question, when you guy tighten your hose clamps, do you really crank them down, or just snug tight???
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Generally i snug it then give it a little twist extra but not too hard, just slightly harder then when it got tight
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

you can always heat the hose with a torch an then snug it to get a perfect seal.......but anything before the impellar should not leak as its under vacuum so it will help make the seal.......if you are putting too much pressure to it 80lbs then it may leak but under vacuum it may not be an issue.....there are two diff issues when you suck and when you blow .......laughing as i type this statement but it is true
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug