Thread: Ballast leak

Hybrid View

Default Ballast leak

So this offseason i swapped the stock 400s out for 750s, plug and play. The boat is kept in a heated garage over the winter and the ballast system had been emptied of all water although no antifreeze was pumped in. So after the first 3 trips out this year ive noticed a considerable amount of water(saturated carpet) along the port side rear locker wall about 3/4 way up the floor towards the bow roughly 4in wide aith the rear of the floor completely saturated mostly under the false wall. At first i thought it was maybe just the fill/vent fittings were slightly loose so i went ahead and threw some PVC cement on these to no avail. As far as an actual bag leak ive yet to find one, however i get no water in the starboard locker so i may switch bags and assess this way. Finally, i pulled the false wall off and ran the system and found a steady leak at the area noted in the pictures. It actually leaks out of the top of the hose at the fitting/hose junction. I was unable to get the leak to stop simply by moving/tightening the screw clamps. The system only leaks when filling and it would seem unlikely to me that I could get this much water from the 8 or so minutes it takes to fill the system.

Just looking for any ideas as to other possible leaks and ideas as to how to fix.IMG_20130530_190320_289.jpgIMG_20130530_190309_075.jpg
    2014 SC350
    2012 LSV - sold

I would not be surprised at all if that was the only leak. Just keep watching and you will find the others if there are any. I'm sure when the bags get a lot fuller it leaks a lot more. I'd check all your other connections while I'm in there though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default Ballast leak

Ill follow this thread closely also cause I have the same issue. Thought it was my bag at the end of last summer so I switched them for this year and have same issue. The carpet is always wet in the back corner and usually has some standing eater

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Well that was easy, went ahead and replaced the hose pictured and my locker is nice and dry again. I never thought having my dealer over an hour away would be a good thing, but its forced me to service and fix everything myself.
    2014 SC350
    2012 LSV - sold

If I can hijack this thread since your problem was fixed then. I have a 2009 outback v and the front ballast pump is barely working. It seems to empty fairly quickly bur won't fill hardly at all. Where are the ballast pumps in my boat? Also a link for a replace or replacement parts? Thanks. I need some surfing advice after I fix this pump issue.

Default Ballast leak

I think in 09 there were some issues with the impellers in the reversible pumps. Should be a panel in the port locker & pumps are behind that. Get the green replacement impellers from wakemakers.com

For clarification since I'm a boat newb the port side locker would be the rear left where my ballast bag sits?

Quote Originally Posted by TuxRaptor View Post
    For clarification since I'm a boat newb the port side locker would be the rear left where my ballast bag sits?
    Port is Observer side
    Starboard is the driver side.

I remember it by the Alphabet, p before S or remember your the Driver and the STAR of the show.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I remember it as "Left" and "Port" both have 4 letters
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

And when ballast leaks all over you use a lot of other four letter words.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!