Default First Generation Outback Wake dialed in

All,

I have been messing with my wake off and on since I got my boat back in 2005, and I finally feel like I have the wakeboard wake dialed in. I am running about 1300-1400 pounds in it, mostly hidden. I am still running the stock sized prop (13x13) since I still ski, however, I am running a 4-blade in lieu of the factory 3-blade. I have attached a diagram of where I put my sacs since it is easier that trying to describe it. I am riding at around 70 feet back, and the wake has tons of pop and is quite big (for a DD).

The only problem with the wake is that the trough is not clean. I realize that the Outback hull design, being a ski boat, is shaped to aerate the water flowing under it to make a soft wake, and this is what makes the trough ripples. It is weird for the lake to be glass smooth, yet the trough it not, but it is what it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My hull is older as well. Do you have a slight step in the hull on the back half, outer edge?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

so you have the two side sac sets by fly high, and a tube sac under the sun pad?..i have the fat seat in the back and i have been looking for some sacs for the front..i might have to look into this for the 04..and im guessing 2 of the set sac's arnt hidden right?
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

Berg, I don't think so, but I can't really remember. I'll look tomorrow.

Moto, Yes that is correct. On my 2001, the gas tank is under the rear seat, so I have that 370# sac on the floor of the rear ski locker. I had a 750# back there at one time, but it was just too big for my liking. For your 2004, the gas tank is at the bottom of the rear ski locker, and SC says not to put any ballast on top of it.

The setup in the diagram is what I run if there is only 2 or 3 of us in the boat. If there are more folks, like 6 or 7, then I will not use the two Side Sacs in the floor. If I get more than about 2000# of ballast and people my prop can't handle it.

The Side Sacs fit pretty well under the front bow seats, I can almost fill them up. A pair of Tube Sacs will fit pretty well under there too, probably better that the Side Sacs, but they are quite a bit longer. With my sub under the helm, the Tube Sac is too long to fit my boat. Also, I already had the Side Sacs.

Looking at the front/rear distribution of mine, it is about 45% rear and 55% front, which seems to work awesome. Oh, and one thing I forgot in the original post is that I ride about 22.5 mph. 22 is about as slow as you can go with this setup without the wake getting too washy. So, following the 45/55 split, with a Fat Seat in the back, over 1800# would be needed in the front to weight the boat evenly. That would work out to a 370# under each bow seat, maybe a Side Sac in the bow walkway, and a 750# laying across that and the two bow seats. This would end up in the 3400# range, which is way too much for a boat like the Outback. It would need a crazy prop for that much weight, and the tow speed would have to be like 28 to get the wake to clean up. Not to mention at slow speeds it would basically be a submarine.

When I first got my boat, people told me to "put more weight in the back" and I did. At one point I was trying to run around 1000# in the back and nothing in the bow. After all the trial and error, it turns out all those folks were wrong. An evenly weighted boat makes the best wake, and the boat still handles reasonably well.

I know you didn't ask, but... my recommendation for your boat would be something like this: A W707 where the rear seat is, a W704 under each bow seat (if you have room under the driver's side helm) and a single W703 in the bow walkway. You could adjust this sac fore and aft if needed to tweak the wake or reduce dipping the bow. That would give you about 1800-1900#. You would need to have an upgraded prop, and would have to ride somewhere near the 24mph range, but it should be a nice wake.

i upgraded my prop to a acme 543 i think..because i told nettles i was going to run about 2000 lbs in sacs on the boat..but yeaa..i have the fat seat in the rear and i did the math one day when i filled it and it was right at or right below 1000...since i have that i think i might keep that there since you can still sit on it and use the cup holders haha..and maybe do what you said for the bow weight..i have a sub box under the helm now but theres a wall under the helm thats part of the boat so i dont know if that tube sac will fit
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

Well that is good you have a stronger prop, that will help a lot. I was assuming the fat seat was heavier, Fly High's website (fatsac.com) lists it at 1525#, you must have a different one. You could get a flashlight and stick you head and/or a tape measure under the front bow seat and see how much room you have to the room for the longer sac.

You could try the IBS, but it probably won't fill up all the way, but you might could get 600# in it. It looks like it would have to be filled up from behind the observer seat, though. The issue with using the Side Sacs it that they need to be wider to take full advantage of the width of the boat seat spaces, that is why I like the Tube Sac better. You could use the original Fat Sacs (W707) under the bow seats and just not fill them up all the way, they would probably fill up half way. Two of those might get you about 700-800# up there? That would be without anything in the walkway.

sounds good..i have the older fat seat
    http://ecom1.tsrnet.com/testinc/product18.html
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)