Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default exile setups only for amp gain settings

Guys with similar setups please share your amp gain settings. I swapped out the kicker 700.5 for two exiles and added a zld , the towers kick in hard with just a slight fade.

I have the harpoon with 4 xm9's
    The xi 800.4 for six sx 65m
    The xi 1500.1 with xi12dvc sub in a sealed box.

The dealer tuned the inboats without the xm9 on the towers so , it was difficult to do.

I really have not messed with the settings yet , wanted to get some ideas and don't want to blow my neighbors out by clipping the amps the adjusting down slightly.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

my buddy who does systems at best buy is going to tune mine(hes really good at it)..i have the the harpoon pushing two 7's so ill let you know
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

also he was saying that he will have to tune the head unit, then tune the ZLD..i dont know why but he knows more then me haha
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

Regardless of amp and speaker brand and speaker type, the gains need to be set using one of the 2-3 common methods.

Tower amp, in-boat amp and sub amp: All amp gains need to be set independent of each other. Doesnt matter to the in-boat amp that the tower speakers were not installed yet. If your dealer had trouble setting the gains on the in-boat amp because the tower speakers where not installed.....I would find a new dealer to do the install.

What is it about the setup that you are not happy with? Gains are typically a set it and forget it. Cross-over filter for in-boats and towers should be "HI-PASS" and "LOW-PASS" for the sub. The cross-over frequency will have a ball-park range, but now exact setting. For the in-boats, I would probably end up somewhere between 80-100 Hz. For the towers, about the same, 80-100hz. For the sub, you should set it close to where the in-boats end up. This creates a smooth transition.

Also, keep in mind that the ZLD is a line-driver, so your gains should end up lower then those with the same amps, head-unit and speakers, but no line-driver. head-unit and EQ settings need to be flat or zero.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Regardless of amp and speaker brand and speaker type, the gains need to be set using one of the 2-3 common methods.

Tower amp, in-boat amp and sub amp: All amp gains need to be set independent of each other. Doesnt matter to the in-boat amp that the tower speakers were not installed yet. If your dealer had trouble setting the gains on the in-boat amp because the tower speakers where not installed.....I would find a new dealer to do the install.

What is it about the setup that you are not happy with? Gains are typically a set it and forget it. Cross-over filter for in-boats and towers should be "HI-PASS" and "LOW-PASS" for the sub. The cross-over frequency will have a ball-park range, but now exact setting. For the in-boats, I would probably end up somewhere between 80-100 Hz. For the towers, about the same, 80-100hz. For the sub, you should set it close to where the in-boats end up. This creates a smooth transition.

Also, keep in mind that the ZLD is a line-driver, so your gains should end up lower then those with the same amps, head-unit and speakers, but no line-driver. head-unit and EQ settings need to be flat or zero.

MLA, dealer did a fantastic job, just were not able to tweak the whole system cuz the towers were not there to tune it by ear. I assume you saw the install photos and they did great for not being an audio shop.

Since there are many on here that have the same setup I have, was just curious as to there gain setup so I could save my lake neighbors some musical noise in the lift. And me being lazy. Lol

I guess the issue as stated above was the towers come on loud and early in the fader control, vs my ws and Krypt eq. I know they are different, just thought I would get to more middle ground and have a nice blend from all three.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Did not see photos, but it doesnt matter. I was not hacking on the install, it just seemed you did not have confidence in the tune. Sorry if I misread your post. Once the ZLD's "FADE" is at center, both the front and rear, or in-boat and tower as its labeled on the ZLD. are at full head-unit volume level. The "tower" zone doesnt get any louder past center, the in-boat zone just gets quieter. This is the down side to the "fade" function of a basic car audio EQ, its not true zone volume control. The WS-420 has true in-boat and tower zone control and the Krypt is just a knock-off. The ZLD is based off a car EQ with front/rear fade, which is not independent volume control.

Your amp gains can be set by way of a volt meter or O-scope with no speakers attached. neighbors wont hear a thing. Setting an amp's gain to its peak safe level is independent of any other amps, but they can always be turned down of wanted.

What do you look for on the volt meter?

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post

Sent from my iPhone
    Numbers . . .

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    I guess the issue as stated above was the towers come on loud and early in the fader control,.
    mine do the same, maybe I have mine set wrong-i dont know, but the towers are loud. no clipping issues

cant imagine your 4 xm9s or Mikes 6 with 2 harpoons
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post

Sent from my iPhone
    Yes I would like to know what the levels on the VM we would be looking for, I guess I could search google.

I assume I would un hook the speaker wires.

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    mine do the same, maybe I have mine set wrong-i dont know, but the towers are loud. no clipping issues

cant imagine your 4 xm9s or Mikes 6 with 2 harpoons
    Daze, I knew you setup up was very close GTK its probably just a reality of the harpoon and the towers.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold