Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LEDs at night on Texas lakes

Anybody know if running your LEDs at night on Texas lakes illegal? Had a buddy get pulled over on Lake Texoma after dark running his in boat LEDs. We're thinking it was BS and lake patrol just used it as a reason to pull him over.

Officer told him you can have them on while stationary but not running. Would seem it would be safer at night because other folks would be able to see your boat.
    2009 LSV Liquid Force Edition
    - Gravity III - Upgraded 900lb rear locker
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - Polk MM6501UM - Kicker IX500.4
    - Kicker CompVX 12" - Kicker IX1000.1
    - Pair Wetsounds Rev 10s - JL Audio HD750/1
    - RGB LEDs

I believe that they are illegal everywhere, since red, green, and white are used for navigation (non-navigation lights in those colors could be confusing) and red and blue are police (again, confusing).

That said, I have yet to get nailed for LEDs on a Michigan lake (knock on wood)
    2013 Outback V

NOT illegal! Law only states you MUST have "one bright light visible all around" and navigation lights!
    I pulled up at the dock one night while the Coast Guard were performing boat checks on Lake Amistad and all they said were, "Nice Lights! You guys could stay out all night light up like that..."

I run Blue LEDs but nothing higher than the side of the boat...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...l2000_0001.pdf

Full version
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...l2000_0014.pdf
    Last edited by tgoody14; 05-27-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

Wait.... Check the last sentence

This could be their "grey area" that allows them to stop you, but it isn't exact enough to be written up as a violation of law...

§ 31.064. Lights
    A vessel or motorboat when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise in all weather. A vessel or motorboat when underway between sunset and sunrise in all weather must have and exhibit the lights prescribed by the commandant of the Coast Guard for boats of its class. No other lights that may be mistaken for those prescribed may be exhibited.
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

Yeah you might be right...the last sentence "No other lights that may be mistaken for those prescribed may be exhibited. "

Problem we had with it, was his lights are speaker ring LEDs. They're not outside of the boat or tower speakers. So that's why we were calling 'bulsh' on it. Reason to pull him over and jack with him.
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - RGB LEDs

Clam,

Im not in TX, so takes this with a grain of salt. I had a long talk with a long time lake patrol officer back in Feb at the boat show. If its in the boat and below the gunwale, its considered courtesy lights, regardless of color. If its above the deck or on the exterior of the boat, here is the general thinking. The laws do not say whats illegal, but rather they state clearly what is required: White 360 and red/green seen no more then 120* past center of bow.

So if you have transom LEDs other then white, they can be deemed a violation if you are on plane
    If you have tower speaker LEDs other then white, they can be deemed a violation if you are at anchor.

We talked about the pontoon boats with LEDs under the deck along the toons. He said that at a distance, the boat rocking up and down would make blue or red LEDs appear to be flashing. This makes them look as if its an emergency boat. Upon approach, its just a civilian vessel with what loks to be flashing lights.

In the case of your friend, I would prepare to pay the fine, but fight it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamcakes View Post
    Yeah you might be right...the last sentence "No other lights that may be mistaken for those prescribed may be exhibited. "

Problem we had with it, was his lights are speaker ring LEDs. They're not outside of the boat or tower speakers. So that's why we were calling 'bulsh' on it. Reason to pull him over and jack with him.
    In Texas they do not need a reason. They can pull you over because they just feel like it.

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

All you should see at night while in motion are the navigation lights and anchor lights. The worse case is when someone has the red and green switched. That is an accident waiting to happen. Green on green is the worse as it makes both boats the stand on vessel which by law requires you to maintain course and speed until a collision appears imminent at which time actions to avoid a collision is required.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

RD you're right, at least for Texoma this weekend. They were pulling folks over left and right. They were staking out the coves and Pappys marina, whipping out the binoculars and looking at everybody coming and going.
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - RGB LEDs

my buddy got stopped on the 3rd for his underwaters on his toon. They said they were illegal, but did not give him a fine. Just checked for everything else.
    2013 MOJO