Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have a 2012 Mercury 383 Magnum with the same problem. I was just letting the engine warm up at the dock and it just started. I had the engine tuned up with new ignition parts. Runs perfect except that same loud sucking sound. It does it all the time cold or hot. Motor has 150 hours on it. throttle plate is opening and closing fine. I saw on a car forum a similar complaint and a suggestion was the "IAC is stuck open all the way" what does that mean and do marine engines have an IAC?

Thanks

Please let me know how you resolved this problem as I have the same boat and it has the same problem

It's kind of hard to say for sure since it was not a problem I could regularly repeat, but I think those that suggested vapor lock were right. If that was the problem, I think it must have been partly caused by ethanol in the gas because I had never had the problem before and the ambient air temperature was not as hot as what others had reported when having vapor lock. This year, I filled up with ethanol free gas when I winterized. I'll have a better idea about it in the spring when I get back out.

The problem only occurred for me after running the boat for a while and then having it sit off without the blower running. When starting again, it had the problem. I started running the blower while anchored until the air coming out had cooled somewhat and did not have the problem again. The only thing that has me unsure about vapor lock is why I never had a problem with it in the previous 6 years. The only answer I can come up with for that is that there might have been more ethanol in the gas than in previous years.
    05 Mobius LSV - gravity 3 ballast and wake plate
    single axle trailer
    DIY hot water shower installed
    DIY tube inflator installed

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackRider View Post
    It's kind of hard to say for sure since it was not a problem I could regularly repeat, but I think those that suggested vapor lock were right. If that was the problem, I think it must have been partly caused by ethanol in the gas because I had never had the problem before and the ambient air temperature was not as hot as what others had reported when having vapor lock. This year, I filled up with ethanol free gas when I winterized. I'll have a better idea about it in the spring when I get back out.

The problem only occurred for me after running the boat for a while and then having it sit off without the blower running. When starting again, it had the problem. I started running the blower while anchored until the air coming out had cooled somewhat and did not have the problem again. The only thing that has me unsure about vapor lock is why I never had a problem with it in the previous 6 years. The only answer I can come up with for that is that there might have been more ethanol in the gas than in previous years.
    Our problem seems to be exactly the same, and we have the same boat and model. I had no problems for 5 years and last year it started doing this. If I through water over the hot fuel pump the problem goes away. If I run the blower or leave the hatch open I also do not have the problem. What concerns me is why now?? I never used to have to do this?? I have tried using different fuels but the problem continues.