Hybrid View

Default Start but wont stay running..

I have installed a set a gauges/switches from a newer boat (around an '03 or so I believe) into my '98 Outback and I'm having an issue where the engine will start but will not stay running unless I hold the key in the "start" position. I have power to the ignition post on the key, no power to the + side of coil when on "run". All the gauges stay powered though.

I'm thinking it may be from the kill switch wiring as my '98 didn't have one and the newer boats did. Can someone please take a look at the wires off of their kill switch and tell me what colors they are? I'm not even sure if it ran into the switch wiring or not. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

Eric
    -Eric
    1998 Outback

Default Start but wont stay running..

Maybe a bad ignition switch?

I'm having the same problem. Ignition tested good (12.3 volts to "start/run" position (red/red-yellow) and "on" (violet/red-yellow). But no reading on any other violet wire found anywhere on the boat. No power to the gages. Straight wired the fuel pump with a switch. Boat cranks and runs (very good).

I think both of our problems are with the violet wire giving power to the gages. Then again, if I think am that smart then why am I still working on this since all last summer?????!!!!!

The reason I am still struggling with this is my trailer needs a lot of work and I don't have anything to haul it with anyway. Tried to get someone to come look at it but I must have talked too much and scared him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bend View Post
    I'm having the same problem. Ignition tested good (12.3 volts to "start/run" position (red/red-yellow) and "on" (violet/red-yellow). But no reading on any other violet wire found anywhere on the boat. No power to the gages. Straight wired the fuel pump with a switch. Boat cranks and runs (very good).

I think both of our problems are with the violet wire giving power to the gages. Then again, if I think am that smart then why am I still working on this since all last summer?????!!!!!

The reason I am still struggling with this is my trailer needs a lot of work and I don't have anything to haul it with anyway. Tried to get someone to come look at it but I must have talked too much and scared him off.

I found the problem right after I posted. I traced a couple of purple wires that are supposed to go to a kill switch. Trace your purple wires, one is power from key switch and runs to a terminal to a kill switch, then another purple runs back through the harness to the boat. If you jump them and it runs then the switch is bad. Just didn't make sense to me that it could start but not stay running but I understand now.

Power to gauges should simply be a red wire (or wires like gauge and ACC power) running to the battery, or in my case, to the engine/alternator. Check for broken wires.

Now I have a new problem. Ran fine on the lake all day (super rough) and then died and will not fire again right around the corner from the ramp..Another problem for another day..
    Last edited by 98Roo; 05-27-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    -Eric
    1998 Outback

I'll tell you what if there is anyone qualified to run this down it's you man. Keep us posted. We have all enjoyed watching your progress with the boat. More pics if you can do it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Start but wont stay running..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

98ROO,
    Sorry, reread your post and saw that you DO have power to your gauges. Not the same as I previously thought.