Default Installing Depth/Temp Gauge - Question

So I picked up an older, unused depth gauge/ water/air temp gauge from a guy on the Moomba board over the winter. I'm going to install it soon but I was just looking at it the other day and I can't tell which sensor is the air and which is the water. It didn't come with instructions or anything. One sensor is cylindrical and made of steel, the other is a flat piece of plastic. Both are about 2.5 inches long. Which is the water sensor? Also, anyone installed one and have advice as to how/where to install the water sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    So I picked up an older, unused depth gauge/ water/air temp gauge from a guy on the Moomba board over the winter. I'm going to install it soon but I was just looking at it the other day and I can't tell which sensor is the air and which is the water. It didn't come with instructions or anything. One sensor is cylindrical and made of steel, the other is a flat piece of plastic. Both are about 2.5 inches long. Which is the water sensor? Also, anyone installed one and have advice as to how/where to install the water sensor?
    Post a Picture of the stuff, on the one i installed in teh LSV the water temp sensor was built into the puck and i had to drill a hole in the bottom of the boat to install it. It also had Air temp and it was a cylindrical peace of steel about 2 inches long, but it was by the guage connection.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Will do Mike, hopefully I remember this afternoon.

Here are those pics, first the flat black plastic piece:

Here's the steel cylinder piece:

The wire for the steel cylinder is SIGNIFICANTLY longer than the one for the plastic piece, like 3x as long.

The system also has this alarm:

And here is the main plug:

Never seen anything quite like that.

To tell which is which apply 12 volts to it and stick one in water leave the other in the air. The air temp will read both in water and out but the water temp should read a false reading if left in the air.

Other wise if you know the brand and type try google searching it for more info. Sorry i cant help more right now
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks for the advice. I've tried searching online but the product line has been out of commission for years. My guess is the sensor that has the longer wire would be the water sensor, for getting it down to the water. Especially considering applications like cabin cruisers and whatnot where there would be a lot more distance to travel. If that's the case, how would you guys suggest installing that steel cylinder sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I've tried searching online but the product line has been out of commission for years. My guess is the sensor that has the longer wire would be the water sensor, for getting it down to the water. Especially considering applications like cabin cruisers and whatnot where there would be a lot more distance to travel. If that's the case, how would you guys suggest installing that steel cylinder sensor?
    Makes since. Depending on its diameter, try to get a u clamp to fit over it and screw it into the very bottom most place on the transom unless you can attach it to something that low. I would even go as fare as trying to mount it to the bottom of my wake plate just so i don't add holes to the boat.
    [COLOR="#696969"]