Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Kicker HLCD fell apart

Just got down to the lake for memorial day weekend and heard something rattling in the speaker can so I removed it and this is what I found. What is this and can I use it without it for the weekend? I don't want to mess anything up. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369437718.747934.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369437732.163678.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 98outback View Post
    Just got down to the lake for memorial day weekend and heard something rattling in the speaker can so I removed it and this is what I found. What is this and can I use it without it for the weekend? I don't want to mess anything up. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369437718.747934.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369437732.163678.jpg
    Both components (resistor and inductor) are glued to the circuit board AND the leads are soldered through the circuit board. That is the norm. So I don't find anything that I recognize as poor quality. In fact, the resistor weighs so little that it makes you wonder how both attachment methods failed. None of the leads came out. Instead the leads are broken off. But I'm not going to speculate what happened. None the less, it's an easy repair. The resistor will have to be replaced because the remaining leads are too short, but that is an easy resistor type, size and value to source. The coil can be slightly unwound without changing its value enough that it would make an audible difference. You just need enough lead to re-solder. Take a razor knife and scrape away enough enamel coating at the end of each inductor lead to get a good solder joint through the board. You'll need to desolder and remove the broken lead ends that still remain in the board. Be careful as to how much heat you apply specifically to the resistor. I would clean up and roughen up both board surfaces and the inductor surface and use a two-part epoxy. If you don't want to mess with it yourself, your dealer should be able to knock that repair out in short order. But, just to be safe I would check inside the other pod also before 'dropping it' off at your dealer.
    You can still play the midbass drive alone for the weekend. It won't sound its best but it will be safe. However, the tweeter must have the passive crossover or damage will result immediately. So definitely disconnect that.

David

That shouldn't happen. Pm me Tuesday and let's get this fixed. Either repaired there or we can check on replace. As David says, it is an easy fix, but if we have to we can look at other options.

Have a safe weekend-

Phil
    Kicker

atta kid Phil!!

Sent from this thing called tapatalk 2
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Thanks Phil. I looked at the inside of the can and could not find any signs of water in either side. I have not pulled out the other pod yet. Will do after the weekend. Thanks and have a safe memorial day weekend all.

Gotta love these guys on here. Thanks, Phil!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

gotta love the vendors on the site...

a big shout out to phil. lots of other vendors wouldn't stand behind the product that way..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    gotta love the vendors on the site...

a big shout out to phil. lots of other vendors wouldn't stand behind the product that way..
    Agreed! We have some super audio friends on this forum.

Good stuff!!! Well, not that it happened of course, but that it's getting handled without question! Well done!
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...