Thread: High Elevation

Default High Elevation

I have a 2005 Outback with the carb 310hp engine. I normally run it around 500 feet above sea level. In June I am going to be taking it down to Lake Tahoe for 2 weeks which is at 6200 feet above sea level. What should I do to make sure it runs properly and I don't damage the engine?

Default High Elevation

I boat at 7000 or so. Imo, All you really need to do is re-prop. If you don't re-prop, you could easily be out of your WOT range and risk damaging your motor. Also, You will notice a reduction in power from your normal elevation.
    What prop are you currently running and what sort of ballast/ weight do you run?
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

I would rather not re-prop since I will only be at that elevation for 2 weeks. I currently run the factiory prop. Not sure what it is. I probably wont be running any ballast while I am there as we will just be cruising around the lake and maybe pulling around a tube for the kids. I am concerned that the engine will run too lean and damage the pistons.

Sounds to me like you'll be heading "up" to Lake Tahoe not "down"!
    Agree with moombahighrider but you can always go prepared with different jets and spend some time re-jetting and checking the plugs till you get it how you want it.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Default High Elevation

Quote Originally Posted by ckb07 View Post
    I am concerned that the engine will run too lean and damage the pistons.
    Sorry, I wasn't really thinking about the fact that you have a carb. Mine is fuel injected, so it's not on my radar. Running lean is definitely a concern with that much altitude gain. Not sure how much you want to mess with it on the water, but I would be taking a good selection of jets and get some suggestions from your mechanic or maybe get a hold of a local (Tahoe) mechanic for jet suggestions.
    Maybe you could install the jets they think would be correct before you leave home and then keep an eye on it? Be prepared to get stuck into it on the water...
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro