Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

As far as changing the impeller out i just did mine a few months ago. I used a mechanics mirror with an adjustable head to see what i was doing. Then if you get a couple of paint can opener tools from home depot you can slide them between the fins and hook the bottom of the old impeller and pull it out side by side. To put it in i used the oil that came with my impeller and pushed it on as far as i could, then used a rubber mallet to pound it in the rest of the way. Also a note if you have not seen it yet the cover of the pump only goes back on one way so i marked the top for putting it back and getting the gasket seated right. good luck
    2002 outback lsv 320 tbi
    02 f 150 supercrew lariat

Default New water impeller

Fixing to change mine and it's hard to tell which way it should be going. Looks like some fins are angled opposite of others.

Default New water impeller

I'm done. Not a bad job.

Hardest part is getting the old one started coming out. Once it moves a quarter of an inch it'll pull all the way. It doesn't really matter how it goes in cuz each little fin will rotate to the wider open side of the housing and then get pulled the direction they are going to stay forever. It's amazing the job these little things do.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!