Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Brake caliper stuck - weekend kiboshed - recommend checking these

Brought the boat home from storage Thursday. Didn't notice any drag, but after a few miles, on a hunch, checked tire/rim temp. One was quite warm. Pulsed the brakes to see if that would release it. But jacked it up at home (another 10 miles) and very sticky; took effort to rotate the wheel.

I checked Boatmate manuals online, and there is no specific periodic maintenance for calipers. Being in and out of the water twice a weekend when boat is used, I guess after 5 years these things can seize up.

Dealer ordered in a caliper. I don't like the $449.00 bill to replace it, but I guess these must be specialized?

Anyhow, I don't need any input, just a suggestion to stop after a few miles if you do haul it (I only haul mine twice/year) and check rim temp.

Thus killed the May long weekend...(and a mighty whack to the wallet).
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

Default Re: Brake caliper stuck - weekend kiboshed - recommend checking these

Dealer?!?! Autozone..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Ya, electrically operated pressure release valve for backing up wasn't working either, so off to the dealer for both. That'll be a few additional bucks.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

If I only towed a little ole OBV twice a year I'd be tempted to just remove the brakes.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default Brake caliper stuck - weekend kiboshed - recommend checking these

Dude! Go to pacifictrailers.com! 449 bucks is about 5 times too much! I just did all 4 calipers, rotors, bearings and all on my trailer for under 500 last year!

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Everyone,
    I'm on the Supra forum too. . . BoatMate tech and support is great. THey have manuals posted and how-to's. .but my question is this. . these are supposed to be " relatively " maint free systems. Manual actuators etc.

I maintain my brakes, but I'm a bit miffed at why after only a few years we're sinking some coin into the brake systems. I would think these calipers would be good for 10 years plus. Heck, my drag and race cars get better mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    Dude! Go to pacifictrailers.com! 449 bucks is about 5 times too much! I just did all 4 calipers, rotors, bearings and all on my trailer for under 500 last year!

Sent from my iPhone
    X2 - individual parts aren't too expensive and fairly easy for someone like me who is not too mechanically inclined.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Hey Supralauncher, tell us what all you do to maintain your brakes. Can't hurt.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I rebled my brakes and it took care of my problem.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

Annual Maintence such as bleeding, lubricating the disc brake pad channels and replacing old fluid. The core problem with the lock up's that I've heard is that the piston dust boot doesn't keep debris out of the cyclinder wall, hence the piston doesn't retract and causing the brakes to be partially or fully engaged during transit. That's not an industry wide problem with brake calipers.

I rebled mine twice and it did'nt full solve the issue until I took a c clamp ( doubled up the outer / inner brake pad ) and used the force of the c clamp to push the piston back into its recess position. I'm just worried that this was a temporary fix and that the next time I apply the brakes ( under hard braking ) that the problem will reoccur.