Default Day almost ended early!!!has anyone had same problem

Surfing this weekend first time this year so keeping good eye on everything fairly close. about 2 hours in all my gauges start flashing, voltage drops to 11.5 so I shut off immediately turn around too steam coming out of engine hatch. At this point pretty worried and start throwing kids out of the boat. Sit for a few minutes to try and evaluate if this thing is going to catch fire or are we going to fight another day. slowly lift hatch to see what was going on and notice it is just steam coming off of engine. The plastic fitting that screws into the exhaust riser had blown off. inspecting the fitting about 1/2 of the threads had melted inside of the riser, Luckily I was able to get enough of the fitting back in to keep the water flowing to limp back in with no issues. So I go to the dealer today to get a replacement and talking with them he mentioned is it the side you mainly surf on and sure enough it is he said it is happening more and more. The newer boats are now using brass fittings because of this. they were out of the brass but will be converting soon but for $6 each I bought 3 of them to keep extras on the boat. Worth the security!!
    2008 22SSV Worlds

Default Day almost ended early!!!has anyone had same problem

Wow sucks you had a problem on the water. It's crazy the exhaust manifold got that hot to melt the fitting. It seems to me that if the list from a loaded surf boat affected water flow, which I don't see why a few degrees would considering the pressure created by both pumps, the side opposite of surf would be more likely to build excessive heat.
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

I can't visualize this. Any chance you can get a pic?
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

I think the fitting broke first and then a loss of cooling water that melted the fitting. Did both pieces show signs of melting or only the manifold side?
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I had to scrape the melted threads out of the manifold side. I don't have a pic of it in the boat but this is the fitting next to the new one. Water fitting.jpg
    2008 22SSV Worlds

GOtta remember even though when you surf your only going 10-12 mph the engine is still running 2500-3200 RPM and thats a lot of work. The engine will create a lot of heat and can fail easily if something goes bad.

Awesome tip, and Yes please take a few pictures when you can to help everyone understand what your talking about.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

OK so put the bad fitting back into the water hose to show where it came from. I am going to change out the other side today as well but will be moving to brass. thought it was kind of odd I've never seen the issue on here but the dealer seemed to act like it was common.riser fitting 2.jpgriser fitting.jpg
    2008 22SSV Worlds