Default Polishing HELP!!

So I now have three ski boats and a pontoon boat which is two boats too many. I am going to be selling two of the ski boats, an older Ski Sanger and our ’02 Mobius.

The Sanger has some pretty heavy oxidation and my kid and I figure it is the perfect guinea pig, then do the Moomba then our latest boat.

I have never used a variable speed polisher before and after way too long on the internet (Kids! Stay off the internet! Just Say NO) I ended up buying;
    A Dewalt 849X polisher

A 6” Backing Plate

A bunch of different colored (for different compounds) foam pads

3M 05954 Super Duty Compound

3M 35928 Finesse-it II Marine Glaze

3M 06064 Perfect-It Machine Polish

3M 06044 Imperial Compound and Finishing Material

• Did I get the correct products?
    • Is that the order I use the products?
    • Am I missing any steps?
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Let me know how the 3M stuff works. I have used the meguiars and worked ok but didn't get out all the marks I wish it had. I may try some 3M after hearing some feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by loudsubz View Post
    Let me know how the 3M stuff works... I may try some 3M after hearing some feedback.
    As I am a total green horn at this, I don't know if I am the one to ask, but I will let you know how it turns out. I cant mess up the Sanger too much, it's a $5.5k boat at best with a bunch of oxidation.

Though I cant wait to try the Scotchgard Marine Liquid Wax, according to the manufacturer it:
    • uses reactive chemistry to bond to your boat's surface
    • offers exceptionally high gloss with lasting durability
    • contains a pleasant tropical scent

If it smells good, it has to be good!

Eric.

Default Polishing HELP!!

Not sure where imperial fits in there, I'm guessing its less cut then the super duty and more cut then finesse. I've never used it, but I use all the others in that order.
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    Not sure where imperial fits in there, I'm guessing its less cut then the super duty and more cut then finesse. I've never used it, but I use all the others in that order.
    Sorry about my links in the first post not working, by the time that I noticed I cant edit them.

About the 3M 06044 Imperial Compound and Finishing Material, I found this info;

• This liquid compound and finishing material is designed to remove a P600 or P800 dual action sand scratches and swirl marks from marine gelcoat, with a wool pad quickly
    • It has an exceptionally fast-cutting ability when compounding gel coats and automotive paints
    • The compound leaves an excellent finish without swirl marks
    • Removes scratches light to heavy oxidation, stains, blemishes and swirl marks.

Eric.

Default Polishing HELP!!

Yes, so see how well it cuts compared to your super duty. Use liquid dish washing detergent or a shop hand cleaner to wash your pads when switching compound.
    -Jake

I would wetsand with 1500 first, but that's me. Try a small area and see what you get. If it takes an hour to get a 2' x 2' area shiny you may decide you can wetsand first and do it in 10 min.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I would wetsand with 1500 first, but that's me. Try a small area and see what you get. If it takes an hour to get a 2' x 2' area shiny you may decide you can wetsand first and do it in 10 min.
    The Sanger definitely is a candidate for wetsanding in certain areas. And a good place to practice.

Eric.