Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adding Depth Guage to 07 OBV

Wondering if anyone has added a depth guage to 07 OBV or similar. Boat did not come with one. Would love any brand suggestions/hints/pictures etc... Dont mind putting in a thru hull just not really sure of best location and wiring etc... Also wonderng typical mounting location of the guage. Thx

Gauge location - I actually moved my volt meter down so the depth gauge is right up on top and easy viewing. That's one gauge I always want to be able to see and hear the alarm.

Transducer location should be in front of any water pickups on the bottom of the boat. You don't want anything that will cause turbulence or bubbling in front of it or that will throw off the signal if it's a thru-hull puck style. In the bilge area close to the V of the bottom is where mine is located.

I am very tempted to move to one of the Faria style depth gauges that actually uses a sensor drilled through the hull and also provides water temp as well. My thru-hull puck can be finicky sometimes and has even broken loose once. I've heard nothing but good things about the other one - as long as you don't mind drilling holes in your boat.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....t=depth+finder

Here is where I mounted mine. I used a through hull and it has performed perfectly. I bought this one as I thought it matched the factory gauges best.

The search function will bring up several other threads for more/better ideas
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Thanks. Yes that is the one I have been looking at as well. On the price hunt now. I am installing the 2 thru hulls for my 2 new reversable pumps so I will look to mount the transducer forward of those close to center of hull.

I also installed the same Humminbird in my 2010 OBV. Used the thru hull puck with good results. Mine is mounted on the driver's side directly across from the speedometer wheel. That put it in front of the two ballast thru hulls on that side. I used a 10 minute two part epoxy to set it. If your layout is different from the 2010's, you can disconnect your bilge pump, and fill the billge with a few inches of water. As your driving your boat around, you can move the puck around to find the best spot for good readings. The sonar will not go through air, but it will go through the combination of water in the bilge and the bottom of the boat.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Berg,

You have Perfect Pass, right? It has a water temperature reading. Well, the paddle wheel version does, I guess the Stargazer doesn't.

Yup- Stargazer - no paddle wheel, no temp.

My current depth finder I'm not fond of at all. It was a night before leaving on vacation, crap this is the only one in stock at West Marine, it'll have to do - kind of purchase and install basically in the dark and let the epoxy cure overnight. It serves the purpose, that's about it.

Thing is with the water temp I'm sure my family will constantly want a report before they get in. Bunchy of sissies.

Won't it always just read "cold"?
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Yeah, doesn't look like FREEZING will fit on the display...

Quote Originally Posted by tmbyrne66 View Post
    Wondering if anyone has added a depth guage to 07 OBV or similar. Boat did not come with one. Would love any brand suggestions/hints/pictures etc... Dont mind putting in a thru hull just not really sure of best location and wiring etc... Also wonderng typical mounting location of the guage. Thx
    I have a Hummingbird HDR 650 that I bought for my previous boat but never installed. Look it up. If you want it...I will sell it to you for 1/2 the price of a new one. I think it was $100. Just let me know if your interested.
    2012 Moomba LSV