Hybrid View

Default Perfect Pass vs. cruise control

I am purchasing a new Moomba Outback and am getting the EFI engine upgrade which automatically comes with cruise control. I was planning on getting Perfect Pass until I heard about the cruise control. Am wondering if there would still be an advantage to Perfect Pass on top of cruise. One of the things that drove me crazy about my old Moomba was that the speedometers were never accurate with all the jostling, and I'd have to synchronize it to my cousin's, using his Perfect Pass system which always had an accurate speedometer reading. Am worried that cruise control might still give me inaccurate speedometer readings . . . any thoughts? This is new to Moomba this year so don't know if anyone has tried it.

Default Replying to Topic 'Perfect Pass vs. cruise control'

Margie, I don't know anything about the new cruise control (I have a 2005 Outback with the 325 EFI) nor do I have perfect pass. However, my dealer told me that the dual speedos should be set at 30mph with the engine running at 3000rpm. I usually set them at the beginning of the day and they lasted all day without adjustment. Did your other Outback have dual speedos and were they as easy to set as they are now? I'm asking because I want to make sure that the information I have is correct. I've heard the only truly accurate way to test your speed is to time yourself through a slalom course, but then again you have to wonder if the course demensions are exactly right.

If you are serious about skiing, I would think that perfect pass would be the way to go. There are too many things to worry about when pulling someone through a slalom course and eliminating throttle adjustments would be a great benefit- unless the new cruise control does the exact same thing. I guess that is what you wanted to know in the first place.

I sync my speedos at the beggining of the day with my GPS. I have to believe the GPS are more accurate (and easier) then timing through a course. I have the 310 Carb engine and the RPMs do not match 1-1 with the speedos.

My old Moomba had the dual speedometers that were very easy to set. Never knew about getting the engine to 3000 rpm's and setting it that way. From what I've heard from dealerships, cruise control is more difficult to use for skiing. Sounds like Wakeboard Pro Perfect Pass is the way to go for recreational skiing -- not going through the course. Digital Pro is more difficult to use but competitive skiers definitely would want to go that route.