Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thanks guys!
    ===================================
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

Failed again

Went out last night, with pretty much the same results. Still not sure what I'm doing wrong...I was running with the ski-locker bag full, left side locker full, and wakeplate all the way up. Still was not able to even come close to letting go of the line, even when I moved up pretty far on the board.
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

Default Re: Yet another weighting question

Thats so weird. I was trying to figure out how to upload thos video of my 05 with me absolutely shredding some gnar with STOCK ballast. Can you take some pictures for us so we can see whats going on? No water in the ibs correct?
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by lewisb13 View Post
    Thats so weird. I was trying to figure out how to upload thos video of my 05 with me absolutely shredding some gnar with STOCK ballast. Can you take some pictures for us so we can see whats going on? No water in the ibs correct?
    Do you know how to surf?

Even with the crappiest wave you should be able to get slack in the surf rope...

Surf is like standing in the middle of a teeter totter.

First you need to get up and move into the meaty part of the wave, probably really close to the swim platform, 1-2 feet back. I tell folks to pick a spot on the platform and stare at it, this helps judge the distance and allows you to react quicker. There's a sweet spot and it can be really small, 6-12inches when you start out. You'll find it once you find the sweet spot and have your weight setup, the rope will slacken, but don't let go.

You need to balance yourself by moving your feet forward backwards on the board. 1/2in either way is huge amount. You need to find the balance/neutral point, like standing in the middle of a teeter totter you want to keep both both end of the teeter totter off the ground.

To much weight on your front foot and the teeter totter hits the ground, or in surfing pearling, the front of the board goes under the water, game over. To much on the back foot and the other end of the teeter totter hits the ground game over. Or you're dragging yourself around with the rope...

To go faster, or towards the boat you slightly shift your weigh to your front foot, not enough to pearl, just enough to move the teeter totter down without hitting the ground. To slow down or move away from the boat you put more weight on the back. We're talking a few pounds of pressure here...

When you start out it helps to center yourself a little forward of your neutral spot. This way when you freak out and stand into your normal stance the board will actually speed up and help you recover. You actually have to think about putting weight on your back foot to keep you from running into the boat. But as soon as you stand normally the board will speed up. It also helps to kinda rock between the two. 1-2 seconds forward followed by 1 second of back. You want to look at the platform and try to stay within that sweet spot by slightly moving your weight forward & backwards and there's a slight delay in response..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Here's when we started out so you can see a wave..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8a0e...ature=youtu.be

2005 LSV hull is same as 2008 OBV hull. This video is from that boat with the center full, 750 in port locker, Momma & 11 yr old daughter on port side, wakeplate up and 9.8-10.3 mph.

http://youtu.be/UqGn-ZS5N40

Does your wave look anything like this? If not, try the setup above.

If so, what board are you riding?

Are you trying to surf like parrot described?

Thanks for all of the help and advice!

lewisb: The way my IBS is plumbed in, it fills both the ski-locker bag and the front IBS's at the same time. So yes, there was some weight up front, but they weren't all the way full. Maybe halfway, which would be 300-400 lbs up front I guesss.

parrothd: I'm a wakeboarder not a surfer...but I'm doing all of the things you describe. I did shift my balance point forward to try to naturally accelerate as much as possible. In other words, I'm definitely not burying the tail of the board, which would slow me down.

wolfeman: As far as I can remember, yes, my wave looks like yours. Board is an inland surfer squirt.

I felt like the first time out, we had a better wave. We had 2 more kids in the boat (small kids, but still about 200 extra lbs on the port side), and I'm pretty sure our starboard locker had some water in there too (maybe 1/3 full) just
    due to me not noticing it.

Maybe the water I'm in is too shallow? It tends to range from 8-15 ft...I guess I should go out in the channel next time.

We are going 10.5-11 mph, kind of varying up and down (mostly up) to try to create a sweet spot. It will probably be another week and a half before I can give it another go, and I'll try to remember to bring a camera along so that you guys can see what I see.
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

Deeper is better, the wave will be crappy at 8, really good at 15.

You might be going to fast with the IBS, try starting at 9.5mph and working up and make sure everything is filled to the max..

Quote Originally Posted by dhyams View Post
    We are going 10.5-11 mph
    I think you're going too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by dhyams View Post
    Board is an inland surfer squirt.
    How big of a guy are you or the riders on this board? My experience has been that once you get close to the 200lb mark you're going to need a strong wave to keep any kind of a pocket and free ride.

Also curious, since you're a wakeboarder at heart, are you letting the boat pull you with the nose of the board almost facing away from the boat (riding an edge) or are you pointing the board more into the face of the wave ~ aiming more towards the swim platform to ride with the wave and let it push you.

Thing I've noticed is that kids and smaller riders can get away with nosing further out and away from the back of the boat and keep riding. A bigger guy on a 5' board, with an iffy wave, will definitely need to ride with the face of the wave.

Does that make any sense at all? I haven't been drinking yet so maybe not...

EDIT: Oh yeah - I ride the squirt too. Back foot jammed up against the traction pad hump, front foot where ever it feels right but usually a few inches in front of the logo. I've seen others struggle on this board because they didn't have their back foot planted all the way back.
    Last edited by bergermaister; 05-16-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...