Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I'm disappointed.. I was hoping for Movie trilogy LOL... Glad to see this thread NOT going over 3-4 pages just over *$#&%*&$*

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Not bashing any products. Just telling it like it is.
    The Exile Harpoon amplifier has been tested by an independent lab with over $50K in sophisticated test equipment at 2 times 370 watts into a 2-ohm load at 1 kHz at 1% total noise and distortion with a 14.4 volt supply. These are CEA2006 standards for measurement.
    With quantity four 4-ohm Wetsounds Rev8s that would be 185 watts rms to each of the four speakers.
    The Wetsounds Rev8 is rated at 200 watts rms (continuous power) which is an indication of the thermal rating. That's pretty close.
    I sure hate to disappoint everyone but IMO that combination will work okay.
    Will you get all the 14.4 volt power in a boat? No. Because you will not develop 14.4 volts.
    Most amplifiers will drop a minimum of 25 percent of their 14.4 volt power with a 12.5 volt supply. But that 25 percent drop represents only a 1 to 1.25 dB level in output which is barely audible under ideal conditions. So we are in the game.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    Always attacking. Always attacking. Why? At least get your facts straight. That's the longest yes or no, i've read in the thread. And you still didnt say yes. Or no. lol. It's cool.
    So, I'm going highjack this thread . . . .

I agree with sandm - David stated it would work, so I'm not sure how that was attacking, unless you're arguing that the "facts" you want to have straight are the independent lab results. And, to a point, I'll agree with you until I'm told who the lab is, when the testing was completed and a scan of the test report is posted up.

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    knowing the history of this forum, I'll take that as a YES from David.
    looking at the specs that mike threw out, I'd run it on my boat. knowing that there are people on here that are running both prducts and very happy with each, I can say that I believe that combination would put a smile on my face..

nice thing about audio.. if you are not happy in the end, theres enough of a market to sell either amps or speakers and go down a different road or add a second harpoon(hello hearing test)..

either way be sure and post up what you end up with and your subjective opinions of the results..
    A single harpoon is a $700 retail investment (per the exile store page), requires a fair amount of realestate to mount it and is very inefficient as compared to newer technology. Adding a 2nd would be a $1400 investment with no audible difference at the end of a tow rope.

Brian,

Once again, I hate to break it to ya pardner, but the 370W rms x 2 @ 2 ohm @ 14.4V specs posted above are accurate.

Can you explain for the benefit of the Moomba community, how your Class-A/B amp is able to convert 12V DC to 1000W rms through only its two 40A internal fuses? I know your past, current and future customers are more then able to comprehend this info if you would only provide it. IMO, this is a far better approach then just telling people to get their facts straight. I am just asking you to please straighten the facts for us?

Default Re: A Simple Yes Or No?

2 of the 3 local audio gurus have chimed in. mla a no, i read David as a yes. I'd assume Brian was saying yes.

My original thought was that it would work but probably not the first match if starting from scratch. I typically see people recommend an amp that pushes a little more than what the revs are rated for. Harpoon is near the range though. My take away from David is that the additional 50 to 100 Watts from an amp swap wouldn't be much of a discernable difference.

My answer is yes. Not worth swapping amp unless you want to match gear. I figured this thread would land you some 9s, though, if that is what you want. Are they out everywhere?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by KG's Supra24; 05-10-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Default Re: A Simple Yes Or No?

2 of 4 ... Didn't mean to leave Phil out

2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    2 of 4 ... Didn't mean to leave Phil out

HAHA..

Hah!, my one sentence answer is that one independent retailer said it would work and another independent retailer said it wouldn't, while a manufacturer of one of the brands in question responded with a "yes" answer; I would call that a tie if this were a polling thread......

Phil
    Kicker

Quote Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
    Hah!, my one sentence answer is that one independent retailer said it would work and another independent retailer said it wouldn't, while a manufacturer of one of the brands in question responded with a "yes" answer; I would call that a tie if this were a polling thread......

Phil
    Kicker
    So your vote gets to break the tie. Drumroll...........

I base my 'Yes' answer on accurate information and 'straight facts', if you know what I mean. I did save the test results.
    Here is another way of viewing the decision. The Wetsounds Syn2 as tested is the identical power as the Exile Harpoon. Wetsounds routinely recommends a Syn2 to drive two pair of Rev8s. So if it is good enough for Wetsounds I think it is good enough for Exile.
    Wetsounds wouldn't mind the Rev8s seeing more power. The Rev8 has a 2-inch voice coil which is unusually large for an 8-inch HLCD. But the next step up in amplification to hear a dicernable difference is going to be a major jump in cost.

David

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    So your vote gets to break the tie. Drumroll...........
    I'm not taking that bait....