Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prop shaft coupler bolt????

I spent a good couple hours trying to get my prop shaft coupler bolt out and could not get it to loosen?

I was cranking on it both directions and al it was doing was torquing the shaft....When I pushed the shaft back up to put a couple bolts in to hold it now the coupler and tranny plate are about 1/4 inch offset....Did I bend my prop shaft trying to get the nut off?

I backed out the set screw but could not get the bolt to loosen....Is it a reverse rotation nut? Think its a bad idea to hit it with an air ratchet?
    I'm replacing my dripless packing seal that was a steady stream. Think it could have gotten hot enough to "stick" the nut and coupler/shaft together.......HELP

Thanks guys
    Hillbilly
    07 LSV usually DUMPED

I was not able to separate the shaft and coupler in the boat.

I took out the entire shaft and took it to Elbert's (marine shaft shop). He got it loose in about a minute.

If you think your shaft is bent get it checked before you reattach.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

I'm not sure how you would get it out with the coupler attached. I slid mine out the bottom after removing the coupler. I just can't remember how I held the shaft when I did it. Probably put a bolt back in and held it with a wrench on the bolt or something.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I had to pull the v-drive to remove the shaft assembly. It was much easier than fighting the shaft in place for me.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

I'm going to turn the shaft and see if the offset changes any as I turn the shaft and that should tell me right away if it's bent......Maybe it is out of alignment and that is what caused my seal to fail?
    It was creeping up on midnight and after knuckle busting it for a few hours I packed it in for the night.
    Maybe the bolt and shaft are seized together? If so any tips on freeing them? Heat or Ice!!!!!!

Thanks....
    07 LSV usually DUMPED

Used this procedure when I installed my dripless seal and it worked great.
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....removing+shaft
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

I got the nut off this evening then decided to pack it in for the night .......A few more steps and I will be 1/2 way done......lol
    07 LSV usually DUMPED

SUNOFABISCUIT.......Ended up pulling the v-drive......Now does anybody happen to know a model # for a new gasket??? LOL

This quickie job I thought I was going to do has turned into a huge fiasco!!!!!!

Going to hit up WestMarine Mon or Tues....I'm going to try and find a deeper nut for the coupler that thing is really shallow and got a bit worked over........
    07 LSV usually DUMPED

Link has PDF instructions at the bottom of the page for A.R.E for the double taper shaft. Speciality tools available from elberts.com or skidim.co. Tight working quaters so remove everything you can to make more working room. Blocked the prop with wood and my shaft nut came loose without too much fuss. The coupler nut has a flange for the set screw to seat on.

http://www.elberts.com/system.htm
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

Ah shoot, now I remember. Did Hillbilly know about the set screw. Once that's out and you block the prop it should come right off. Sorry I didn't remember that earlier.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!