Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Amp for KM6500.2

Ok, finally scored a great deal on a pair of KM6500.2 hlcds. For anyone interested check them out on amazon right now.

Is there a preferred amp to power these? I'm was thinking of going with either the DX400.4 or ZX450.2, pricing on both are fairly close however it appears the 400.4 would produce more RMS power bridged at 4 ohm, correct?

Or I currently have a 640 watt Kenwood 4 channel amp to power the back 4 cabin components and current 4 tower speakers and a 200 watt MTX to power the sub. So with those current amps would it be better to get a zx700.5, run the cabins and sub on it and the hlcds on the Kenwood?
    2005 Mobius LSV

You may want to look into the IX amps from kicker. If you do consider the ZX450.2, I'm going to have one for sale here very shortly (2010 model). Used 2 seasons. Birth sheet rates it at 496. Make you a good deal.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

For the KM6500.2 setup, I like 200W rms or more. The IX500.4 in bridge mode will deliver 250W rms to each set. Ive run this setup a number of times. Just recently, we used a couple of the new Kicker KXM Class-D marine amps for a 6-pack. They delivered 200W rms and it was still impressive.

Or, use your current 4 chnl for the KM6500.2 setup and get a 5 chnl for the 4 in-boats and sub. Check out the IX1000.5 or the new KXM800.5 class-d marine amp

I just recently bought the same tower speakers and i am running them on the new class d polk d400.4 amp. Very small package and bridged is ~400 watts per channel. Runs without even getting warm and sound is amazing. Think they are around $250 on sonic or one of the web stereo stores.

Thanks everyone for the help, wish I wasnt so cheap and would spring for the IX500.4 paired with what I've already got but that probably wont happen unless I can find a decent deal on one.

Berg sent you a PM
    2005 Mobius LSV

Guinsha-

Feel free tp PM me if you have any questions on your setup, or post here for everyone to read.

Happy to help ya out with anything.

Phil
    Kicker

Default Re: Amp for KM6500.2

I have an old xm650.4 bridged running my six pack. I originally had just the four cans and it was a little hot but really easy to expand to my current setup.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Sorry zx650.4

If I was to do it all over I would spend the money and go with a class D setup.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Well, I ended up getting a deal from Berg on a zx450.2 and a KM-4200. I am really pumped about getting this stuff and cleaning up my current install. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. I have a few projects to get to first however, buffing the boat and replacing the steering cable. It should be a fun week or two as I plan on tailoring the boat home to work on it in the afternoons after work.
    2005 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
    Sorry zx650.4

If I was to do it all over I would spend the money and go with a class D setup.

This new class D stuff is pretty much going to obsolete the class A/B amps going forward. Close to 90% efficiency vs. 50% means less power draw and longer battery life in addition to smaller footprint and virtually no heat. Wetsounds, exile, and others are all moving this direction because of advantages stated above. Class D used to get a bad rap that the sound wasn't warm but the new Phillips chip everyone is using put an end to that.

I have a great arc audio amp for the in cabin speakers and 2nd sub which is class A/B but huge compared to the polk amp I bought to eventually replace it with the Polk D5000.5 I just bought