Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Outback V

Default 2007 Outback V

Hi all-first time poster. This is the best message board I've seen in a long time, and I'm hoping the group can answer some questions that are probably basic. We are considering buying a 2007 Outback V. We have a combination of skiers and wakeboarders in the family, no experts (yet) and this looks to be an excellent cross-over boat. The boat we're looking at has the 400 lbs. of center ballast and the wake plate. Will this amount of ballast provide enough of a wake for the wakeboarders? If so, at what stage of skill development would we need to add more, and is that an easy process? And finally, in general how is the wake for skiers, at speeds south of 30?

Thanks for whatever information you all can provide.

Default 2007 Outback V

Great boat for what you're looking to do. I had an 08 and we did everything on that boat. The wake will be fine for beginners and intermediate to learn to wakeboard. You can get bigger bags and fill manually with a pump for a bigger wake or even to surf. There are many on here that have installed automated systems, too.

The wakeplate can be used to mellow out the wake so you can ski. It would be challenging to run the slalom course at tournament level, but it's fine for recreational skiing.

Ask away w/ other ?'s. the folks here will be happy to help.

Try to give us a better idea of the combination (like 20% ski and 80% wakeboard or whatever) and how many total are in your typical crew on a day out. More than happy to help. I'll accept your compliments on behalf of the others on here (as long as you pay in beer).
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Hi and thanks for the responses so far. We're about 75/25 wakeboard / skiing. Our wakeboarders have been at it for about 2 years, running behind a Larson bowrider and looking to actually experience a wake Our skier has been at it awhile but just started getting up on one ski. So as you'll gather, we're all beginners looking to get better. All the posts I've read seem to tell me this boat will serve us well for many years as no one in the family is looking to do tricks just yet. We usually have 5-7 in the boat at any given time. Thanks again!

Default Re: 2007 Outback V

Man perfect boat for what you're looking to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

I had a similar boat, same hull but in a direct drive. I call tell you from experience that the hull is very skiable for rec skiing and although the v drive will make a bigger wake, but for what you are doing it will be fine. Wakeboarding will be much better than the Larson. Even on my direct drive version of that boat, it was no problem going wake to wake. From a wakesports perspective, it's probably a little lacking if you really get into high intermediate to advanced wakeboarding tricks and while it is definitely surfable, there are better boats out there if that is your main goal. However, I think it is a fantastic crossover boat and you aren't going to get a great big huge wakeboarding / surfing wake combined with a skiable wake in any boat. That said, for your uses, you throw a fly high 750 in whatever corner you want to surf, you will have zero problem going ropeless. I liked mine, it was a good reliable boat. It sounds to me like from a wake perspective, this boat is a good match for you guys and so I would focus on whether there is enough room in it for you and your family / friends. If so, I think you'll like it. Of course, the main thing on a used boat is condition and maintenance.

My family does about the same percentage of boarding/skiing as yours and we also went from a Larson bowrider to an 06 OBV. The OBV wake will be a very nice improvement for both the wakeboard and ski wakes. Even with only the center ballast it will be night and day difference from the Larson, and you can add more weight as you improve. You can do that with portable pumps, or there are plenty of people here that can help with plumbing it in. This will be our 4th summer with or outback V and we have been more than happy with the upgrade! It sounds like it would suit you very well
    '06 Outback V

Thanks again everyone. Final questions-is the wake plate adjustable from the cockpit all the time, or is this an optional feature? If optional, how does it work without it? And any major differences between an '06, '07 or '08?

Gettin' close, decision time is upon me! Thanks.

I have had 2 of these boats, one with the wakeplate (power adjustable all the time) and one with no wake plate. I would not go back to the one with no wakeplate or consider buying a boat without it. I use it all the time to adjust attitude based on who or what I'm pulling. They can be added if you are a little handy. If you find the perfect boat, this may be a consideration.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone-thanks for all your help. Settled on a 2008 OBV. Can't upload a picture for some reason. Looking forward to warmer weather and dropping this bad boy in the water for the first time. Thanks again.