Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default 2005 Mobius LSV vs. Outback V

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. This question has probably surfaced somewhere on here before so forgive me if it's an old one.

I've set my sights on purchasing a used Outback V as I think it will be the best fit for my family's needs and if I understand it correctly, the Outback V started production in 2006.

I'm wondering if the 2005 (and earlier) Mobius LSV is pretty much the exact same boat as a 2006 Outback V (Hull design, Length, Freeboard, Ballast system, etc...). So essentially the characteristics of the wake and handling of the boat would be very similar if not the same?

Any help would be greatly appreciated by someone who knows first hand.

Cheers!

welcome and you'll get a lot of responses..

first off, where ya from and what are your end goals for the boat as far as activity?
    supra launch20ssv is very similar to the outback v as well so another one to put on the shopping list imo.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I think the Mobius LSV is slightly larger than the Outback V in that year. I'd get the Mobius.
    2017 Moomba Craz

Default Re: 2005 Mobius LSV vs. Outback V

I had an 05 lsv. It is the same hull as the 06 and up Outback. So the 05lsv is a 20.5 foot boat and in 06 it moved up to a 21.5 foot boat I believe. The only thing you need to look at on the 05 is where the tower mounts to the boat. Make sure there are no stress cracks. They went to the two-spot mount in 06 versus the 3 spot mount in 05. If there are no cracks I say go for the lsv becuase it will inherently be cheaper than an 06.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Good to know about the stress cracks where the tower mounts.

I guess I should explain what we'll be using it for and why I'm looking at the Outback V, rather than an 06' and up Mobius LSV. The boat will be used for 40% skiing, 40% wakeboarding, 20% kneeboarding, no real hardcore wakeboarding and want something that has a wake that's decent to ski behind (for a vdrive). Also will try surfing but I understand that it will never be a great surf boat like the 06' and up LSV's.

search 20ssv as well. buddy is a dedicated slalom skier and said it had the flattest ski wake of the vdrives he has skied behind. not like his boomerang, but decent..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by lewisb13 View Post
    I had an 05 lsv. It is the same hull as the 06 and up Outback. So the 05lsv is a 20.5 foot boat and in 06 it moved up to a 21.5 foot boat I believe. The only thing you need to look at on the 05 is where the tower mounts to the boat. Make sure there are no stress cracks. They went to the two-spot mount in 06 versus the 3 spot mount in 05. If there are no cracks I say go for the lsv becuase it will inherently be cheaper than an 06.
    Not quite. The 05 Mobius LSV is the same as the 06 OBV. There was an 06 Outback LSV which was 20'8". Go to www.moomba.com/archives and you can compare the various years.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

You could even consider an Outback LS. It's a direct drive, not V drive. It may fit the needs of your family as well. Just a thought
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by mnpracing View Post
    Not quite. The 05 Mobius LSV is the same as the 06 OBV. There was an 06 Outback LSV which was 20'8". Go to www.moomba.com/archives and you can compare the various years.

What he said, yes they are the same..
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. I didn't realize there was an archive section, it pretty much says it all. So it's safe to say that I would get the same wake with an 06' Outback V as I would with a 2002-2005 Mobius LSV or a 2005 Outback LSV? (assuming they both have the same ballast set-up, wake plate, etc...). I think I've got this figured out now.

As far as looking for a Supra Launch 20SSV, there doesn't seem to be too many around here way up north, not sure why.
    2008 Moomba Outback V
    2002 Eagle E6 Sabre Jet Boat - Sold