Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

So finally found an 08 Outback V and bought it and we're pumped to try it out, we're officially part of the Moomba family. I think it'll be a good fit for what we want to do but we'll find out for sure this summer. I have a ton of questions, mostly simple things about driving a vdrive boat. I come from a river boating background and am used to bouncing off rocks and sandbars and we just drive those aluminum hulls right up onto the beach weather it's sand, rocks or whatever and doesn't hurt them.

About how much water does a person need to be in while idling, to safely not hit the prop or fins on the bottom?

Also curious as to weather it's the norm to drive the boat on and off the trailer? or manully push it on and off? The clearance from the bottom of the prop to the prop guard on the trailer looks really tight. Sorry for the goofy/newbie questions, just don't want to wreck her the first time out because of lack of knowledge.

I'll post pics as soon as I can figure out how to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 Moomba Outback V
    2002 Eagle E6 Sabre Jet Boat - Sold

looks like you figured the pics out.

CONGRATS on the new boat!

I don't like getting into water that is less than 3ft. Wife freaks out when the depth gauge drops below double digits. I would drive a bit differently with this boat. Avoid the rocks as a new prop will run you $500.

Depends on the launch area, but most times I drive on/off the trailer. I put the trailer in until the fenders are 1 in under the water so it's mostly floating the boat on, but I will power it up when loading to get it tight against the front roller and require minimal cranking. One trick when loading is to dip the trailer all the way in without the boat to get the forward bunks wet.

Reverse when launching. Back in until fenders are about 1 in under the water, and if you've remembered to remove the transom straps, the back end will be floating so then, if you remember to unhook the bow strap, you can just idel off the trailer.

In either case, don't be afraid to use the guide poles! Don't hit them at full ramming speed, but they are there to help align the boat on the trailer and the trailer is designed so that the boat self-aligns. After a few sweaty armpit attempts at this, you'll find its easy.

Keep asking the questions!
    Last edited by wolfeman131; 06-11-2013 at 07:25 AM.

very nice looking Outback V. Going to be a good summer

launching and loading-just like Drew says above

sandy bottom-2.5 to 3 ft
    rockybottom--at least 4 ft
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Congrats on the new boat, it looks great.

You probably won't want to "bounce off of rocks and sandbars" with this boat. It will damage and it will be expensive to repair. Some of us don't have the luxury of double digit depths. I will IDLE at 2.5 on the depth gauge. In known areas, I will ski in 3.5 feet of water. I am most happy in at least 5 feet. The official draft of most inboards is around 22-24"

If you have a sandy beach, many people will run their boat up onto the beach. Some think this is a terrible idea. It's your boat and your risk. Repeated beaching will act like sandpaper on the keel of the hull.

Your boat and trailer are designed to be drive on, drive off. If I have my wife to back the truck, I will float off. If I am doing everything, I drive off. Depending on ramp angle, fender wells just under the water is a good place to start for launch and recovery. Mostly, it should be idle power at the ramp to launch and recovery. This will limit any errosion issues at the ramp.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

good looking boat. looks like it's pretty well optioned up..

enjoy learning to drive and don't forget the lack of steering in reverse
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

That is a nice looking boat. I think you will be very happy with it. Most of the other guys have hit it right on.

Published draft of your boat is 24" but remember, that is from the waterline. The prop won't hit until the depth finder is closer to 16", but they usually start flashing about 1.5'. The depth finder puck is mounted on the bottom of the boat, so readings may be different than actual water depth. I think there is the option to calibrate the depth finder to the waterline, but don't if anyone has ever done it. It gives you an 8" or so buffer.

My wife it like Wolfe's, if it gets to single digits, she starts to panic, but it's nothing to worry about. The only issue I have heard of is that to maintain a good wakeboard wake, the water needs to be at least 15 feet deep. Not sure if it is true, but...

Congratz man,

Launching we use this trick and it works well, back the boat in till the rear just starts to float, I will unlatch the boaw strap at this point and hop in. Claudia will be in the truck, I start the boat and make sure i got good oil pressure, and charge voltage. I give her a wave and she will back down the ramp about 1-2ft and SLAM on the truck brake, this transfers the energy to the boat and shoots me straight off the trailer and i dont have to worry about Powering it off in reverse.

To trailer it i have her back down till the entire front bunks goes under the water, this makes them a little more slick. Then pull out till the front of the fenders are just under the water level.

I drive the boat on, normally approach is just barely in gear i will bump it in and out to keep it slow. As the boat nose passes the rear bump guards i put it in neutral, let it self center on the trailer, then light apply power just to get the boat to the strap. She connect the bow strap and starts cranking it in, i apply just a little power to help her, at any point you have to apply a lot of power i have her back the truck a little farther down.

On the Outback i don't know how the rear hull sits on the bunks but on my LSV and the Mojo it has cuts in the hull and these only allow you 1-2 inches left to right or the boat wont sit right on the trailer, it just takes practice.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks for everyone's responses, these will all help me out in a huge way. My next step is trying to figure out how to set up and position my shorestation boat lift. I've read a few other older threads on here regarding this that will be helpful. The water level at the end of my dock where the lift will be located is 3.5 feet so I think it should work fine with a few adjustments to the bunks and just making sure the fins will clear and the prop shaft doesn't rest on the rear support of the boat lift when lifted up.
    2008 Moomba Outback V

Well I finally got a chance to get it out on the water. Unloaded boat off trailer, idled around for warm up, take off and notice a massive vibration that just get's worse the faster I go. It makes so much vibration noise I can't even hear the engine. Back on the trailer she goes. Say a few choice swear words. Take it to the dealer and it turns out to be a dinged up prop not the shaft thankfully. It has an Acme 1235 (14.5x14.25) on it and I'm wondering if I should replace it with the same prop or go with something different. Is this the stock prop or is this an aftermarket prop for better holeshot and grunt? I'm wondering if I should be going with a stock prop as we will be doing mostly wakeboarding, kneeboarding and slalom sking. We will try surfing too though and see how that goes. Any thoughts/suggestions from Outback V owners or anyone in general?

Cheers,
    2008 Moomba Outback V

Once you figure out the ballast, I think you'll be surprised how good of a surf wave these boats can throw. I have an '05 LSV, and once you get it dialed in, you can get a big, clean wave. It's not a surf-specific boat, and probably not as good of a surf boat as the bigger, newer LSV/Mojos, but we mainly surf, and I have no complaints.
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold