Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with a new board

Im looking to upgrade my wakeboard this year, but I cant figure out which one. I know everyone says you just need to demo some and find what fits best, but living in southern Minnesota, its really not an option. And being a college student, I cant afford a new board every year, so I really want to make the right decision.

First of all Im a beginner/intermediate rider (just getting in to basic inverts and 360s) and Ive been riding a 09 OBrien Player for the last few years. I ride 100% behind the boat, no cable. Right now Im leaning towards a Slingshot... no one seems to have anything bad to say about them, and I would really like to try a flex board. The Player seems like a very locked in board (quad molded fins) so I want something that rides more loose, but how much of a jump is it going to be if I went with a featureless slingshot? Im looking at either the Kine or the Reflex, it seems like the subtle 3-stage would be the best of both worlds. What are your thoughts on the different slingshots? I also found a 2011 Liquid Force Watson Hybrid... how does that board compare?

At this point Im open to all thoughts and suggestions! Thanks!
    '06 Outback V

Default Re: Help with a new board

If you go from a locked in board to a featureless slingshot you are talking two different worlds. The slingshot will surface spin like a top comparatively.

I went from a byerly which was locked in to a slingshot 3 stage with rails (can't remember the model) and it was an adjustment but liked it for the day i used it. I rode my buddies reflex but wasn't a big fan bc of the looseness. However i love dustys 09 featureless 3 stage. Reflex vs his was probably the difference in 3 stage vs continuous.

When i replaced my slingshot i picked up a Watson hybrid and have been happy. Not as light as dustys but i like the feel.

Some other ideas ... Hyperlite b side, liquid force Harley, never heard much on ronix Phoenix project.

Tl;dr ... Featureless non 3 stage slingshot is going to be super loose. Watson hybrid is a good in between. .... My experiences

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

How does the flex of the hybrid compare to the slingshots? Will it still really noticeable coming off a traditional board?
    '06 Outback V

Hybrid was lighter, looser and flexier than my Byerly was. It was a noticeable difference. Less of a difference between slingshot and hybrid than hybrid and Byerly, imo.

The slingshot stuff still feels a little lighter overall. The reflex I rode was WAY loose, though.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Default Re: Help with a new board

Imo, the hybrid was stiff as a 2x4 compared to my recoil. Ive gotten so used to the insane flex of the recoil (09 model) that all the other boards are hars for me to adjust to.

The hybrid rides great, and after more time I could see how it is such a favorite. The one set I took (with boots that didn't fit) just left me with no more critique than just "meh" overall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by dusty2221; 04-26-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Being a beginner/intermediate rider and that you plan to ride boat only I would recommend a traditional board with a subtle 3 stage or a continuos rocker. Since you don't plan to ride obstacles there is no need for a heavy "grind" base and if you're not pressing it out on a flat bar or a rail there is no need for a flexible park board. I'm not knocking those boards at all but they don't seem to fit your application.

The Hyperlite Clash (old Marek shape), B-Side or LF Witness might be a great fit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

OK I see what you're saying. But dang... that opens up all sorts of new options! There's so many to choose from and every time I get it narrowed down I see something else I like. If I stay with a non-flex board, I would hate to buy something that ends up being too much like what I already have. What I really want is something lighter and looser riding... the main thing that had me leaning towards a flex was that everyone said they are playful and great for messing around with, which sounded like fun to me.

When it comes right down to it, Im really hoping to progress a lot this summer, and I just whatever board will help me do that. And in the endless sea of boards out there I really have no idea what that's going to be. Thanks for the input guys!
    '06 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by trebor-75 View Post
    What I really want is something lighter and looser riding... the main thing that had me leaning towards a flex was that everyone said they are playful and great for messing around with, which sounded like fun to me.

When it comes right down to it, Im really hoping to progress a lot this summer, and I just whatever board will help me do that. And in the endless sea of boards out there I really have no idea what that's going to be. Thanks for the input guys!

Get a "traditional" board with removable fins. That way when you want to play around you can take the fins off or you can put smaller fins on all the time if you like the looser feeling on the board. The flex boards are fun but IMO don't provide the consistency you get from a regular board thus potentially hindering progression. If you were riding obstacles I would encourage you to go with a hybrid. The LF Watson and Shane hybrids are great boards! My son was riding a Shane Hybrid until this year switching brands to the Hyperlite Franchise setup. He rides about 60/40 boat vs cable. The Franchise is a stiff continuous board with the "enduro base". He also rides the system bindings for ease at the park. He likes the Shane better at the park but prefers the Franchise on the boat.

We've established that your a beginner/intermediate rider... What is your height and weight? That will help narrow down your choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

I'm 5'10 and weigh about 145-150. It would also be nice if I could find a 2012 model to keep the price down a little...
    '06 Outback V

One last question... I think I'm going to go with a 2012 LF Witness. But it only comes in a 136 or 140. My current board is a 138, so would you guys recommend going up or down for my weight? I know the bigger board will be a little heavier and harder to spin, but I've heard theyre faster and pop a little better... what are your thoughts?
    '06 Outback V