Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I've spent a lot of quality time crammed in that very same compartment. Wait, did I say quality?

The Polks were good to me but I think it's time to move on. I've got 10 irons in the fire at the moment so the stereo overhaul will be in the planning phases for a bit longer.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Default The scoop on SX65M

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    This sounds about right, but I cant say for sure, only a guestiment. The SX65M is the same as their automotive speaker, the SX65c, but with a grill mounted tweeter as opposed to the pole mounted on the "C". That manual is found with a google search and shows the grill to have a 6.7" OD, a 5.11 cutout. I would put mounting hole center to center somewhere around 6.2. Its not an overly heady speaker, so if the deck is thick and theres enough meat for the screws to bite, I think they would work, but I would still look at something better then just using the traditional wood screws. Backing plate, machine screws with nylock nuts and washers, etc. Having the mounting hole a snug fit to the basket helps support the weight. With an existing 6" hole, you dont have that advantage.
    Hello guys - this should clear up any confusion. First - The SX65M is definitely different than the SX65C. The M is the revised version for Marine. It deviates from the past design with a coincident mounted tweeter, sealed mid-bass driver, upgraded tweeter, different crossover network, and sprayed corrosion emulsifier on the basket and cone. It replaced the C version a year ago.

Anyway - Here's a couple of photos for you that show basket cut out and hole location. Berg from what you've said about your hole cut outs, I think your literally "cutting" it close in using a standard speaker like the SX65M. I know you mentioned NBA Car Audio doing your install. If thats the case, I wouldn't worry about it because they are install gods and can do anything you want. Heres a couple of shots for reference.

-Brian
    Exile Audio

Center of screw mounting -

Min cut out. We usually tell people 5" so it gives some clearance room for terminals.

Exterior grill measurement

My apologies to the forum for being off by 15 hundredths of an inch. Dang, and I missed the hole pattern by a tenth of an inch and that was a pure guess .

I always did the like the contrast between the black coincident and silver cone of the sx65C, it was pretty cool in the right boat.

Haha, Brian I tried to use same tool but not as expert as you are.

So I used the flat tool haha
    Last edited by sgoyal; 04-29-2013 at 04:35 PM.

90 percent of the 6.5-inch speakers used in a boat have a 6.875" grill O.D., a 5.0" opening (a select few have as large as a 5.625"), and a 6.125" hole pattern diameter. You might see a marginal deviation.
    A question was asked above if you could use a light diffuser ring as an adapter. Sure, if it is used solely as a depth reducer. But, as a means to reduce the basket diameter for a smaller hole....absolutely not. That could in some speakers greatly reduce the radiating surface area of an infinite baffle speaker into the gunnel cavity and seriously hurt the midbass output/response.

David

goyal - no problem on the measure. You did plenty fine job too.

re: adaptors. I might be wrong here, but I think the adaptor question was being asked as a means to mount a smaller speaker in a bigger hole. As a means to reduce basket diameter to a smaller hole? Who is doing that? Did I miss something? or are we talking theory. Just to be clear the min cut out on the Exile speakers is ~5" inches. After that.. the speaker wont physically fit.

Yes Brian thank you- that is the reality.
    I have 6" holes and am working on the best approach to mount 6.5" speakers in them again.
    Just reviewed the budget and bigger speakers are out of the question now.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Never review!
    2004 Moomba LSV Blue

Berg, why dont you let me take care of that?

PWI as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Yes Brian thank you- that is the reality.
    I have 6" holes and am working on the best approach to mount 6.5" speakers in them again.
    Based on Brian information, the whole diameter is around 6.3" and your boat hole cutout is around 6". So you should be able to plug Exile speakers easily in that hole.