Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Oversized speaker suggestions - ??

I knew this would come again so here we go. My cutouts for the cabin speakers are 6" holes. Running 6.5" speakers has been a bit tricky to mount. I basically had to have another ring under the back side of the hull and 'clamp' the speakers to the hull with mounting screws.

Been looking around a little and so far the closest option is the JL7.7's needing an opening size of 6.25" - I could probably make that work.

Anyone know of any other larger sizes that take around 6" opening? The less cutting or fabricating of adapters the better.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Would installing speaker LED's help.

HA! I thought the same thing.

Know anybody selling them?

That may work. I would need them to be ~ 5" inner diameter, and at least 6.5" or however large to match the grill size outer diameter.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    HA! I thought the same thing.

Know anybody selling them?
    When I'm here. You got them covered HAHA

Kicker KS65 requires a 5-5/8 hole but do not know the OD of the grill or the bolt spread
    Kicker CS67 requires a 5-1/2 hole but do not know the OD of the grill or the bolt spread

If you stay with a smaller speaker, even adding an LED ring you will be left with a similar issue. The 6" cutout will leave you a very narrow window of hull for the screws to go through. Centering the speaker to drill the pilot holes is critical. Depending on the thickness of the hull, I would still consider using a backing plate with ID and OD thats the same as the speaker and bond it to the back side. Another option would be to use machine screws with washers and nylock nuts as opposed to screws. The washer distributes the load and the machine screw and nut allow for a little tighter torque.

Another option would be to have a piece of deck colored HDPE milled out so the speaker fits through it snug and it fits into the 6" cutout and has an overlapping lip with an OD that matches the speaker. .25" would only set the speaker out a little from the deck, so it would not be too noticeable.

If you are up to the expense of new and larger speakers, then problem solved. Just open the existing holes up to match the cutout of the new speakers.

You can easily fit exile 65m In 6" hole without any issue because I just did that. Hole diameter is around 6.7 and speaker including grill around 7

Quote Originally Posted by sgoyal View Post
    You can easily fit exile 65m In 6" hole without any issue because I just did that. Hole diameter is around 6.7 and speaker including grill around 7
    I just measured Exile SX65M... Hole starts close to 6 1/4" and full OD is around 6.9-7"... their inside diameter is 5.11

All of Kickers marine in-boats are right at 7" OD, so are the Wet Sounds 650 and 65 series. The Rockford M626 is also 7", but the JL M650 (6.575) and the Alpine M600 (6.65) are both on the small size and the polk comes in @ 6.755.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    All of Kickers marine in-boats are right at 7" OD, so are the Wet Sounds 650 and 65 series. The Rockford M626 is also 7", but the JL M650 (6.575) and the Alpine M600 (6.65) are both on the small size and the polk comes in @ 6.755.
    I agree. JLM650 is the only one that is smaller than all. Most of the 6.5 inch speakers are 7" OD..