Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default PFD storage ideas/solutions

It seems like space is always an issue on boats no matter the size, which has become worse since the addition of our son. Last season I instituted a one bag per female and no personal coolers rule to help accommodate the extra stuff associated with the baby. We usually have 6-8 adults on the boat per outing leaving storage limited.

On to the question: I'm going to add a bow ballast bag under the front seats, which is where I currently store the anchor and extra PFD's (the cheap orange ones) to stay legal. Do you guys have any advice on where/how to relocate these so they aren't constantly in the way? Does anyone make really small PFD's that store easily and are coast guard approved? We seem to get "safety checked" at least once or twice a season. Any help is appreciated!
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

If you don't all wear them all the time or swim in them all the time you can probably get away with 2-3 vests that actually get worn. Then stow the others away in a compartment that is less accessible or used. I've found that, aside from the kids, we typically only use a few vests and just trade off for whoever is riding. The guys just swap, the girls just swap. That is considering you don't have a wide variety of "sizes of people" in your group.

I stash my "only pull these out when we get checked" jackets up under the gunnels on the edges up front or behind the seat backs.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    If you don't all wear them all the time or swim in them all the time you can probably get away with 2-3 vests that actually get worn. Then stow the others away in a compartment that is less accessible or used. I've found that, aside from the kids, we typically only use a few vests and just trade off for whoever is riding. The guys just swap, the girls just swap. That is considering you don't have a wide variety of "sizes of people" in your group.

I stash my "only pull these out when we get checked" jackets up under the gunnels on the edges up front or behind the seat backs.
    Great information Berg!! But... in relations to this thread... What?! I don't think thats what he was looking for! hahaha!!

I haven't found anything different than the same PFD's your referring to. However, you can store some under the captains chair. You have to stuff them in from the compartment behind it (I'm going to catch grief on that statement!). Gets tedious to get to, but... it works!
    Last edited by sicktc06; 04-25-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    Stephen
    2009 Mobius LSV
    Black and Yellow

I answered part of it in between mixing my bloody mary's and scrambled eggs didn't I....?

What about the inflatable ones? I'd bet they would be pretty compact, but I think some of the fancier ones that self-inflate expire because of the CO2 canister.

i throw them in the rear lockers on top of the ballast bags. all personal items go behind the observer seat, shows go behind the driver and anchor under the driver seat
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    i throw them in the rear lockers on top of the ballast bags. all personal items go behind the observer seat, shows go behind the driver and anchor under the driver seat
    I thought the "shows" go on up on the sun deck when after you put up the pole for the dancers?

Default PFD storage ideas/solutions

Shoes*****. Typo!

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Default Re: PFD storage ideas/solutions

On my OBV, I stick 2 ski vests behind the drivers seat. I make all the kids wear theirs. The spare adults store under the observer seat and on top of the batteries. Very easy to grab if needed.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk 2
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

What I do is to stuff a few in the bow area up between the inner and outer hull in my Outback. They are not "easily accessible" but they do get out of the way. I think I can fit about 5 up there, and can still fill my front ballast sacs.

we had a coast guard lady try to tell us that they ALL needed to be OUT at all times. talk about making a boat feel small when you have 6-8 adults and life jackets all over the floor
    David