Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: manta ray

Default manta ray

My buddy had one and my old ski boat with tower was the only thing any of us had that could get it airborne. It was so dangerous we gave it up. The wrecks were the most painful I've had on the water and we've tried some stupid stuff.
    -Jake

Never been on one but have seen vid after vid of spine cracking nose dives. It would be a no for me, but I want to see yall's vids if you get one!
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

i would love to get one and one of the first things i would get would be a helmet..i know i wouldnt do 40mph with this thing behind me due to the fact i dont want someone to destroy them self on it.. i know on the bay id probably get stopped by the sheriffs but i think if i it the lake i should be fine
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

pass on that one.

it's a lot less painful to watch other people fail
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

i can only imagine the pain.. i went for a backflip last season on the board and landed on my back from like5-10 feet up and that sucked haha..i can only imagine from 35-40 haha
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

Default manta ray

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    we've tried some stupid stuff.
    That made me laugh!

These things didn't last long on the market. It's not just the height of the fall. It's the fact that if it flips, you get a pile driver effect with the full weight of the thing coming down on you. The people who weren't killed suffered some pretty horrible injuries.

Stay away.

http://www.texastriallawyer.com/kite_tube_accidents/
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Moto, found this on yahoo, if this is correct, I thought they were illegal here, but I think most mfg stopped selling due to liability... One warning stated "don't fly higher than your willing to fall". Brilliant

Yahoo about kite tubes in NY.

Kite Tubes are not illegal anywhere. Period. There are some organizations that have outlawed the use of them on waterways that they control. The big two are the US Army Corps of Engineers and the National Park Service. Any body of water that is controlled by either of these two groups, has outlawed the use of Kite Tubes. If you are just on any old public lake (city controlled, USCG Waterway, International Waterway, etc) you are still allowed to use them.

If you do plan to use one on water controlled by either of the two groups mentioned above, most likely, they will just ask you to leave. Could they write you a ticket/fine, take the kite and impound the boat, probably, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

One thing to mention about using one behind a jet-ski... These kites create a lot of drag and require a lot of speed to fly, so you're probably going to need a pretty powerful jetski. The key to Kite Tubing... If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough!
    3 years ago Report Abuse
    Asker's Rating:Asker's Comment:
    Thank you. And jetski's are pretty powerful, 2,000 CC is very fast.. and powerful.. Thanks for the tips though.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

first time I saw the flying tubes was on an old show of Jackass or Nitro-Circus. Looked fun, but then look at the source. I don't think I'd do even 1/10th of what those crazies would try. And I'm an adrenaline junkie! Just getting older I guess?

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    first time I saw the flying tubes was on an old show of Jackass or Nitro-Circus. Looked fun, but then look at the source. I don't think I'd do even 1/10th of what those crazies would try. And I'm an adrenaline junkie! Just getting older I guess?
    And wiser.

I pulled a backflip on a tube (ok off of a tube - held on as long as I could) in really rough water back in my early 20's. Luckily I came down feet first but was up probably 10ft off the water according to my buddy. His wife was freaking out, ready to kill both of us if we didn't die on our own. Not something I'd want to try again.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...