Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2013 335 oil filter trouble

Not sure how many of you have tried to change the oil in this new motor or whatever but I'd love to give the man who decided the oil filter should be on there at 1000 ft lbs a good old fashioned bare butt over the knee spanking. First off all I wish they would put the oil filter back on the remote mounting location that it was in my 05. You have to remove just about everything from the starboard side locker to get to the filter and ultimately I ended up unscrewig the big fold down door and totally removing it.

First I tried a strap wrench. And I have a beefy one. It fits a 1/2" ratchet and the strap is made from seat belt material. No luck. So I call the dealer and they tell me to poke a tiny hole in it because it may be vapor locked. That doesn't work. So at this point I'm getting all the extensions out for my ratchet so that I can reallllllly get down with some serious torque. Well I end up squeezing the filter so hard that it collapses the filter. And as a small note normally I would just pound a screwdriver completely through the filter and out he other side to get some good leverage, but that's not possible here due to space constraints. Do yourself a favor and get a filter wrench. Not the kind that slides over the end of the filter but the kind that look like giant channel locks with teeth.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

been dreading doing the 1st oil change myself, might run it over to the dealer and let them do the 1st one, that's what I did with the 08lsv
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Default Re: 2013 335 oil filter trouble

Yeah man its a huge pain. Here's what I used. Got it off in 10 seconds. They're like bent so you can swing the wrench above the surface that your feet are on.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

This issue was very prevailant for a couple years ,where many of us had issues getting the first filter off. Too the point ,someone had one taken off by an untrained mechanic who ultimately did enough damage to warrant a new motor.

I thought SC had addressed this issue with Indmar i believe . Sounds like something has changed??
    07 Outback DD

Default 2013 335 oil filter trouble

My first oil change on my 2011 I bought in 2012 was like that. I used a big ole strap wrench and had almost twisted the filter in half by the time I got it broken loose. Was a real pain. Had me cursing the gorilla that put it on too.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

I don't understand this at all. Never have. Filter has to go on tight enough to gently crush a very soft rubber seal. You could just about hand-tighten and leave it if you have a good grip. At most you would give it 1/4 turn after hand tight. Who in the hell does Indmar have putting these things on anyway? Haven't heard from Engine Nut in a while. Maybe he'll chime in on this.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default Re: 2013 335 oil filter trouble

This one was quite obviously put on by a machine. I've done 100 oil changes on you name it engines and never once have I tightened an oil filter more than I could with my bare hands. This filter was in there very very tight. Got that wrench from auto zone for $9.99.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Oh, man. Been there done that. Not on my boat, but a friend's Chaparral. I had a twisted mass of metal after about an hour of trying everything I knew to get that sucker off. Finally, I twisted in just the right way, and hard enough, that the rubber gasket glued to the filter came off. The gasket was literally stuck harder to the metal that the gasket mates to, than it was to the oil filter itself!
    ===================================
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

when i worked at firestone in school i changed the oil on a guys brand new f150 4x4, (this was like 2006), the factory filter was on stupid tight and if anyone has ever worked on that year model f150 in 4x4 configuration you know that ford never intended for that thing to be changed...my .3 hour paying oil change took like an hour
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by lewisb13 View Post
    First off all I wish they would put the oil filter back on the remote mounting location that it was in my 05.
    First sorry to hear what your dealing with. This is also a factory with new engines because they dont add the oil to the seal, and this causes the filter seal to really stick on the new engine.

The 335 oil filter is on the engine as you describe.

On the upgrade 340 <350 surf engine> such as mine, the remote filter is still present.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]