Thread: IS Vs. Phase5

Default IS Vs. Phase5

So I am going to get a new board for this season. My debate is Black Pearl or Razz. They seem to both be for my weight class. I have an Oogle and like it. I just want to try something different, anyone have advice here, or experience. Thanks in advance
    06 Mobius LS

Default IS Vs. Phase5

Go with the Black Pearl just so you can see the difference between an IS and P5.

If you want to stay with P5, check out the Model X. It's a hybrid and you can change the ride characteristics with the size & location of fins.

Wolfeman has a great point.

Both companies make great boards. I split my time last summer between a P-5 DD Pro Carbon (58”) and a IS Black Pearl. If you decide to go with P-5 I would recommend stepping up to the DD Pro or Diamond. That will keep you from wanting to “upgrade” in a couple months.

It looks like you are already considering going with a shorter board. Depending on rider size & weight, wave size, and skill I would also consider going from a 58” board to 54” maybe even a 52”. I did 80% of my riding behind a DD last year (my first year surfing) and I wouldn’t hesitate to go to a 54” board this year. I’m (6’-0” & 185-190lbs). 52” would put you on the KF Pro.

Just my .02.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

I have a Razz and love it but have ridden an Oogle plenty and don't see a reason to have both of them. I'd go IS, like Drew said.