Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oil

So, let me get this straight...The Rotella 15W-40 diesel oil is a suitable substitute? I can't find the pennzoil marine locally and the diesel label on the Rotella is throwing me off.

For the Vdrive I can use the same SAE 30 that I toss in my mower?
    2013 Mobius LSV
    2004 Centurion T5

Default Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Boatdrinks797 View Post
    So, let me get this straight...The Rotella 15W-40 diesel oil is a suitable substitute? I can't find the pennzoil marine locally and the diesel label on the Rotella is throwing me off.

Yes the diesel oil will work. I run Shell Rotella or Delvac 15-40 and run the Attwoods label tractor sae30 in the v-drive. I get all my oils at Tractor Supply or Attwoods which ever is on sale at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

Quote Originally Posted by Boatdrinks797 View Post

Not only suitable, but comes with a pretty solid recommendation: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....173#post157173

Quote Originally Posted by tnbrooks01 View Post
    Yes the diesel oil will work. I run Shell Rotella or Delvac 15-40 and run the Attwoods label tractor sae30 in the v-drive. I get all my oils at Tractor Supply or Attwoods which ever is on sale at the time.
    I have used sae30 in the vdrive in the past.. It seems '13 manuals say 2 different thing. Indmar manual states 15-40 and has a sticker on the vdrive unit too, but in the walter manual states sae30 non detergent.

It probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you change it every year anyway. Both grades will give you plenty of lubrication and won't break down in a year. I see no reason to quit running the sae30 though. I haven't heard of a v-drive failing on here ever.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

The way I understand it, you want a non-detergent oil in your vdrive so any dirt, shavings, etc will drop to the bottom. Detergent oil on the other hand is designed to suspend the junk in the oil, then pass it through the oil filter. Makes sense in theory but in practice I'm not sure how much it matters. The vdrive is a simple system with no internal combustion junk to filter.

This year I started using Rotella T and what a difference, went the whole summer with just a small top up at the end. The years prior I was running Castrol GTX 15w-40 and had to top up around 2-3 times throughout the summer. Will be sticking to Rotella from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    Yes , Rotella is 15w 40 diesel oil
    Ditto on the Rotella...
    ----------------------------------------
    2014 Moomba Mojo 2.5
    2013 Moomba LSV (Sold)
    2013 Moomba Outback V (Sold)
    2002 Mastercraft X-5

On the advice of a friend I respect who owns a marine business and builds probably 250 motors a year, as well as does all his own machine work he recommended Rotella to me.

Brian

New (to me) shop serviced my boat this year, as I left it in BC for the winter. All they do is service boats; no Sales. They use synthetic oil in 100% of their oil changes. Didn't ask why.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate