Hybrid View

Default KMR-350U and aeware remote

I need to get a new HU. I'm thinking to get a KMR-350U because I've seen that it is compatible with the Aeware remote that came installed in my boat (2005 Mobius LSV). However, my current unit (KDC-MPV5025) seems to be connected to the Aeware remote via an extra wire on the back of the HU that looks like it was added on - it is not connected to a wire that is part of the wiring harness. Can anyone tell me how the Aeware remote is connected to a KMR-350U?

Thanks.
    05 Mobius LSV - gravity 3 ballast and wake plate
    single axle trailer
    DIY hot water shower installed
    DIY tube inflator installed

Default Re: KMR-350U and aeware remote

It is on single signal wire. The aeware remote has 3 wires, power, ground, signal. You want the kdc-60 remote if you're replacing the remote and you want the kmr-440u if replacing the head unit. Both are direct plug in with no splicing or new wiring harness needed.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackRider View Post
    I need to get a new HU. I'm thinking to get a KMR-350U because I've seen that it is compatible with the Aeware remote that came installed in my boat (2005 Mobius LSV). However, my current unit (KDC-MPV5025) seems to be connected to the Aeware remote via an extra wire on the back of the HU that looks like it was added on - it is not connected to a wire that is part of the wiring harness. Can anyone tell me how the Aeware remote is connected to a KMR-350U?

Thanks.
    I understand your concern by that extra wire that appears foriegn. The pulse code used by the hardwired remote control is the same as the infrared remote control. The lone wire simply circumvents the infrared target on the face of the source unit and goes directly to the interior control board. It is an afterthought on Kenwood marine units and is often added by a third party. In the case of the non-display remotes, they get their power, ground and illumination external to the source unit. The only connection to the source unit is the pulse commands. It's all par.

David

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    I understand your concern by that extra wire that appears foriegn. The pulse code used by the hardwired remote control is the same as the infrared remote control. The lone wire simply circumvents the infrared target on the face of the source unit and goes directly to the interior control board. It is an afterthought on Kenwood marine units and is often added by a third party. In the case of the non-display remotes, they get their power, ground and illumination external to the source unit. The only connection to the source unit is the pulse commands. It's all par.

David
    So, would I connect the signal wire from the Aeware remote to the wire from the wiring harness labeled as "Remote"?
    single axle trailer

Default Re: KMR-350U and aeware remote

No. The remote wire is a 12v source power wire. You take the control wire of the aeware and connect it to the control input/output wire on the new remote.

Again there are 3 wires coming out of the aeware. Power, ground, signal/control. On the new remote there will be power, ground, signal/control. Just get some butt connectors
    Last edited by lewisb13; 04-19-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by lewisb13 View Post
    No. The remote wire is a 12v source power wire. You take the control wire of the aeware and connect it to the control input/output wire on the new remote.

Again there are 3 wires coming out of the aeware. Power, ground, signal/control. On the new remote there will be power, ground, signal/control. Just get some butt connectors
    So, I can't use the Aeware remote without also getting a new remote that I would connect the Aeware one to using the butt connectors?
    single axle trailer

Wolfpack:

Got your PM via email, but the message doesn't show up when I log into the forum. So I'll answer it here...you asked me how I connected the Aeware remote to my KDC-352U.

Here's the manual for that one:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/...ls/kdcx396.pdf

If you flip to page 19, the wiring diagram is there. There will be a spew of wires from the back of your head unit, and one of those wires will be light blue with a yellow stripe. Just splice that wire directly to the control wire of your aeware remote. At least that's how it was for me. The only other thing to make sure of is that the power and ground wires of your aeware remote are connected to a 12V source and ground, respectively, up near the dash. But that should already be done.

Now if you look at those directions, I do notice that there is a little difference in how the light blue/yellow wire is described, depending on the model of the head unit. I'm not sure why that is. So there's still a little uncertainty there, but I would bet that it would work regardless on the KMR-350U.
    ===================================
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

And as an addendum to that...sometimes I'm cynical, but I'll bet that the reason that the blue/yellow wire is described differently for the KMR HU, is that the KMR is explicitly a marine unit. Kenwood wants to make sure that you know that they sell an accessory that you can buy. The signals on these "two versions" of blue/yellow wires, although I can't prove it because I don't have both HU's, are very likely to be exactly the same.

My HU is an automotive one, so it says "steering wheel remote", and yours is a marine one, so it says "marine remote".
    ===================================
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

As a followup, I installed a KMR-350U last night and the Aeware remote worked correctly when attached to the wire labeled as the steering wheel remote wire.
    single axle trailer