Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Most economical cruise

I just put the Acme 1433 on and I love the pulling performance and the elimination of the growl. However, I travel a pretty good distance between home and riding location. I'm burning fuel like crazy on this run. What has been everyone's experience with this prop and what is the most economical cruising speed?
    2008 Mobius LSV, Z5, Gravity ballast, wakeplate

IDK about speed exactly with the prop but when cruising i try to make sure my ballast is empty, and stay around 22-25 as you get into the 3500 RPM + range fuel consumption really goes up.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I never understood why this burns more fuel. With my old prop I would have to run a lot of rpms just to plane out with all the weight. Now with my 1433 I'm on plane in no time and not running high rpms as long.
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by snyderaaron View Post
    I never understood why this burns more fuel. With my old prop I would have to run a lot of rpms just to plane out with all the weight. Now with my 1433 I'm on plane in no time and not running high rpms as long.
    its a matter of how far you drive once you are on plain. if you have a high pitched prop it might run more rpms for a few seconds to get on plane but once on plain you will run less, and the longer you sustain this speed to more your fuel savings

with a low pitched prop it will get on plain easier but once on plain the engine speed ill be high for an equivalent boat speed thus burning more fuel for longer runs at a sustained speed.

slicks, how long is your run to your riding spot? I am running an 1847 and if we dont trailed to the river it is probably 4-5 miles from us and it seems to burn a good amount of fuel as well
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Generally you want to get up on plane and then back off the throttle till you are at a lower speed but still on plane. Use your wakeplate to keep the boat sitting up on top of the water. Less RPM and less resistance means better fuel economy. Slower cruising speed takes a little longer but you can get some sun and hear the tunes better.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default Most economical cruise

We usually take it about 25 mph, right around 2,900-3,000 rpm unloaded with the 1847. And it actually right at 6 miles from the lake house to the mouth of the river

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Our run is approx 8-10 miles. We do our thing for approx 3-4 hours and head home. Seems like we burn at least 1/2 tank when doing this. I usually try to keep it no higher than 3200 rpm when making this run.

Last weekend when we dropped our kids and their friends off at the house, my wife and I acted like the two old farts we are and made close to the same run but never got over 1200 rpm. Had Margaritaville Radio playing on Pandora and I don't think the needle moved more than a very slight fraction. I guess it's like smoking meat...low and slow is the way to go.

David hearing that you too are burning significant fuel on your run with the 1847 makes me feel better. I was starting to feel a bit of buyer's remorse with the 1433. I was thinking the extra lip on the 1847 might help, but maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by slicks View Post
    Our run is approx 8-10 miles. We do our thing for approx 3-4 hours and head home. Seems like we burn at least 1/2 tank when doing this. I usually try to keep it no higher than 3200 rpm when making this run.

Last weekend when we dropped our kids and their friends off at the house, my wife and I acted like the two old farts we are and made close to the same run but never got over 1200 rpm. Had Margaritaville Radio playing on Pandora and I don't think the needle moved more than a very slight fraction. I guess it's like smoking meat...low and slow is the way to go.

David hearing that you too are burning significant fuel on your run with the 1847 makes me feel better. I was starting to feel a bit of buyer's remorse with the 1433. I was thinking the extra lip on the 1847 might help, but maybe not.
    Depending on how many Gallons you are putting in the tank at the end of your day,

4 hours of boarding, and does this include the trip to the boarding and return?

Thats apx 5 gallons an hour at 20 gallons for 1/2 tank and thats pretty normal on these boats.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Depending on how many Gallons you are putting in the tank at the end of your day,

4 hours of boarding, and does this include the trip to the boarding and return?

Thats apx 5 gallons an hour at 20 gallons for 1/2 tank and thats pretty normal on these boats.
    Top off the tank before I launch every time. So, yes burning approx 20 gallons.

In this particular case, i guess normal is good.

I've owned many different boats...from a 15 ft Boston Whaler with a 60hp 4 stroke Mercury outboard and a 12 gallon tank to a 30 foot Scarab with very strong 454 and 120 gallons. In the little Whaler I could go pretty much the whole weekend on those 12 gallons. With the Scarab, I gotta admit, I could not care any less than I did about fuel consumption. I was young and all about blazing across the water...and with 120 gallons on board, I didn't really need to worry about running out before I could make it back to the dock.

I hope the day never comes when I'm more worried about the fuel bill than I am about the enjoyment of the boat.

I run 3-4 miles up to our riding area. Usually run around 2800-3500 RPM and always run up to WOT for a while after she's good and warmed up. Then again, I run the 547 or 1161 or whatever it is. Get great mileage.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!